Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bisphosphonates & Future Pregnancy
minihorseowner posted:
I am 32 & have osteoporosis (unknown cause). I have taken all the oral bisphosphonates (over the last 10 yrs), 2 yr treatment of Forteo & my last treatment was May 2010 with Relcast. I am getting married next year and "considering" pregnancy. I am due for Reclast infusion in May but am thinking I should schedule appt to discuss prior to this infusion due potential pregancy. We are going to consult with genetic/maternal fetal risk doctor prior to pregnancy but am curious about the half life of bisphosphonates. Any info is greatly appreciated!

bonebabe responded:
By all means, before you get pregnant, discuss this with your doctor. The bisphosphonates have a 10 year half life and are not approved for premenopausal use. Their effect, to my knowledge to date, on pregnancy is unknown.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Susan Randall, RN, FNP-BC, MSN responded:
Dear minihorseowner,

Please refer to Dr. Cohen's post a while back which addresses many of your questions:

http://forums.webmd.com/3/osteoporosis-exchange/tip/16

You may also want to read some of Dr. Cohen's other comments related to osteoporosis in premenopausal women. You can do so by visiting Dr. Adi Cohen's profile and looking under "Latest Activity."

I hope this information is helpful to you.

minihorseowner replied to bonebabe's response:
Thank you very much for your response and advice. I have an appointment in 2 weeks to discuss the risks ect with my doctor.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website