Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
My Osteoporosis Story--Introduce Yourself!
Byroney_WebMD_Staff posted:
Hello and welcome to the Osteoporosis Community! We have a wonderful team of experts from the National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF) sharing their wisdom with us. In addition, we have supportive members, some of whom have been posting and sharing their experiences for years.

Now that we've told you a little about us, how about telling us about you?

Here are some suggestions to get you started:

How long have you had osteoporosis/osteopenia?
Do you have a family history?
Pre-menopausal/peri-menopausal/post-menopausal?
What have you done so far to manage it?
What are your latest scan results/scores?
Do you have a favorite hobby or pastime you enjoy?

Anything else you'd like to share!

Byroney
Imagination is more important than knowledge. -Albert Einstein

darlene194 responded:
I was just told I have osteoporosis and that it is worse in my spine 2 months ago.
My doctor wanted me to take the reclast iv infusion,but I read up on it and decided not to take it because i am already taking meds to keep my heart from beating so fast and that was one of the drawbacks with this one.I looked at the Prolia iv infusion and even tho it has a drawback it should'nt affect my heart from what I read.
So I had the infusion yesterday and so far so good but it does say it takes 24 hrs. for any kind of side effect to start.
Has anyone had this done and if so what do I have to look forward to.
I have a family history of Cardiovascular diseases but I dont know of any one in my family having this. I love to work in my garden but I can't stand or walk more than 10 minutes before my back starts spasming severly and I have to sit down. I enjoy my computer .

Emma_WebMD_Staff replied to darlene194's response:
Hi Darlene194,

I am so glad you found our community. Hopefully the posts here will help you better understand your diagnosis.

I personally can't speak about the medications but hopefully one of our wonderful members here will. Please know you can come back as often as you need to ask questions. This is a great group of ladies here!

Hope to see you around soon,
Take care,
Emma

Peppy1111 responded:
I am 43 years old and was recently diagnosed with osteopenia. I was searching the internet for any information I could find about this condition combined with radioulnar synostosis. Not sure if spelling this correctly but bones in left arm are fused. Concerned about what, if any, effect osteopenia/osteoporosis will have on the functioning of left arm.

Sharbear50 responded:
I had a hip replacement years ago and last year was also diagnosed with osteoporosis as well as Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was told when I had my hip replacement, by my Orthopedic Surgeon that I can't take medication for Osteoporosis. What treatments would work for me? I have a B12 deficiency too. Any suggestions? I recently moved from Florida to Connecticut and haven't yet found a doctor here. What type of Doctor should I seek out? Thanks for any help.
Sharon

djb1159 responded:
I'm 51 and not yet in menopause, confirmed with a hormone test a month ago. (I had a partial hysterctomy about 10 years ago) I was diagnosed with osteopenia at about age 45, after requesting a bone scan, due to my mother having osteoporosis. I took Boniva a few months, until it gave me unpleasant heartburn, then was on Fosamax for a couple of years. I then had a scan June 2009, which showed things had stabilized, and kept on generic Fosamax for another year. I then got scared from the news stories about a potential jaw disorder and the risk of spontaneous fractures after extended use. So, a year ago, I stopped taking it. I exercise about 30 min a day, 5 days a week: low impact aerobics, walking, weights. My Dec 2010 blood panel showed high levels of Vitamin D.
6/09 T score -1.20 Z score -0.50 AP L1-L4
4/11 T score -1.20 Z score -0.30 AP L1-L4
6/09 T score -2.00 Z score -1.30 left Femoral Neck
4/11 T score -2.50 Z score -1.60 left Femoral Neck
6/09 T score -1.50 Z score -1.00 left Hip
4/11 T score -1.60 Z score -1.10 left Hip
I am assuming that the one year without the meds caused the changed numbers between the two scans. My gynecologist and internist aren't concerned about this being premenopausal osteoporosis, and both want me on medication. I keep reading that Fosamax and the other meds haven't been approved for premenopausal osteo. I started back on Fosamaz 2 weeks ago, but feel I need more information. I don't know if I should look for an undetermined cause, or take the meds. Doctors seem to just want to treat the symptoms, and not worry about underlying issues.

turtlevela17 responded:
I am a 40 yr old male with osteoperosis and I have 6 fractured vertebrae from the T4-T9, caused by low testosterone. Why is this so unusual for a male of my age? Everything I read on this disease pertains to women. Where can I find some information on how this disease affects men?

periwinkle52 responded:
Hi there, I was diagnosed with M.E.N.1, about 15yrs. ago. My Parathyroids had to be removed, due to tumors. Which means, they were not producing Calcium for a looooong time! Not sure, how long, but I'm 52yrs. now, & my hip broke @ age 35yrs.! I have Severe Osteoporosis, and have been on Forteo for almost 2yrs. After that, I'm not sure, I guess another bone density, hopefully, it will have improved from the start of the Forteo. This all stems from a genetic illness I inherited, the M.E.N.1. My Pituitary is non-functioning & my Pancreas overproduces, "Gastrin", which causes very bad ulcer type tumors in my stomach. (aadenomas) It goes on & on as every Endocrine Gland which is infected, has some sort of harm somewhere else in my body. You don't always know what is happening, until it's too late! Hopefully, my Endo, will be on top of all of it!! Thanks for listening, periwinkle

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website