Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
wigglesandgiggles 2
An_224027 posted:
Would someone please help if you can. I am a 47 year old that had hysterectomy at a young age. Just found out I have osteoporosis in hips and back. My doctor says that my dexa score would be considered those of an 80 year old woman. I have been told to take Vit D-3, 5000 unit magnesium and calcium and Vit B-12. My D levels were way off but here lies the problem. I know that you should take calcium and mag together and use half the mag you use of calcium. I also have been told that you can only absorb 500-600 of calcium. My problem lies in that I don't know if I can take the Vit D-3 first thing in morning by itself and at lunch take the mag and cal and at dinner take the mag and calcium. I could split the Vit D-3 but don't know if taking 2500 in the morning and evening will be absorbed with the mag and cal. Should I split or just take the Vit D-3 in the morning by itself. Thank you so much

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Jeri Nieves, PhD responded:
Vitamin D can be taken all at one time, with or without food and at any time of the day. Your body stores the vitamin and uses it as needed by the body. It should be fine to take 5,000 International Units (IU) all at one time, as long as this amount was prescribed by your healthcare provider. The upper safe limit of vitamin D was recently set at 4,000 IU/day, however, many times, higher dosages of vitamin D are prescribed for a short period of time to help boost low vitamin D levels. You should take your vitamin D supplement when it is most convenient for you so that you remember to take it.

As for the calcium, you are correct that it should be consumed in amounts of 500-600 at a time or less. NOF recommends a total of 1200 mg of calcium per day from all sources for women age 50 and older. This level is slightly higher than the 1000 mg that is recommended for younger women, due to the impact of menopause.

Individuals should get calcium from foods first and only supplement the approximate amount they do not get from food on a typical day. The combined intake from food and supplements (if needed) should add up to the total amount of calcium you need in one day. If you eat calcium-rich foods like milk, yogurt or calcium-fortified orange juice with your breakfast, it's best to take your calcium supplement with lunch or dinner. If you are able to consume enough calcium-rich foods, you may be able to avoid taking or at least cut back on the amount of calcium supplements you need to take. Getting more calcium than the recommended 1200 mg a day is not beneficial and may cause kidney stones and possibly other problems. To learn more, please read NOF's calcium information at www.nof.org/aboutosteoporosis/prevention/calcium

NOF does not have specific recommendations for taking magnesium and B-12 due to limited evidence supporting the benefits of these supplements to bone health. If your healthcare provider suggested taking these supplements, follow their recommendations for intake. The recommended daily intake of magnesium for you is 320 mg and for vitamin B12 is 2.4 micrograms a day. You can also get many of these vitamins by eating a well-rounded healthy diet rich in fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and lean sources of protein.

Helpful Tips

Great product for arthritis pain sufferers
For two years, I was suffering with pain in my left arm. In addition, I grew a bone spur on my left foot. The doctor diagnosed me with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website