Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
diagnosed at 30?
An_224028 posted:
I was just diagnosed and I am only 30. Does anyone know of this happening to other people. Does anyone recommend places for support and treatment options?

Thanks

bonebabe responded:
There are several recent posts about this that you can read.

Are you postmenopausal? If not, your doctor should be doing some testing on you to find out the cause of your low bone density. Usually in a premenopausal women low bone density (a diagnosis is not given until after menopause) is secondary to something else going on.

The NOF and ISCD have great websites with tons of information for you as well as FAQ's. Their websites are
www.nof.org and www.iscd.org .

There really aren't any approved treatment options in premenopausal women, but meds can be given in extreme cases where the benefits outweigh the risk in a woman of child bearing age. Did your doctor not give you any information or advice? Look over past posts on this board and I'm sure you'll get plenty of info.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Susan Randall, RN, FNP-BC, MSN responded:

Please read NOF's information for young women located at www.nof.org/aboutosteoporosis/whatwomencando/youngadultwomen

You may also want to read some of Dr. Adi Cohen's comments related to osteoporosis in premenopausal women. You can do so by visiting Dr. Adi Cohen's profile and looking under "Latest Activity."

It's important that you have a knowledgeable healthcare provider who can do any necessary testing and provide appropriate guidance for you. An endocrinologist, rheumatologist or gynecologist who works with osteoporosis patients may be able to help you.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website