Skip to content

Announcements

Exciting News for WebMD Members!

We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

What Do You Need to Do?

The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

Includes Expert Content
    Kayaking
    bjhodg56 posted:
    My T score for my spine is -4.6...should I kayak or not...

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hi Bjhodg56,

I would certainly consult your doctor before you do kayak. If your doctor thinks you'll be ok I am sure you'll be fine. NOF has a few articles on exercise, that might help you a bit more too, you can find them here:

http://www.nof.org/aboutosteoporosis/movingsafely/spinestrengthening

and here:

http://www.nof.org/aboutosteoporosis/prevention/excersiceexamples

Take care and let us know what the doctor says!
    Emma

bonebabe responded:
    Kayaking involves a lot of twisting of the spine and your score is extremely low. I don't know what other risk factors you have for fracture (previous fracture, parent had hip fracture, steroid use, etc) but if I were you, I'd find another less strenuous activity.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
    Karen Kemmis, PT, DPT, MS responded:
    When kayaking is done properly, the spine is in a very upright position and the muscles of the back are doing some great strengthening. Unfortunately, it is easy to move into a forward position and to over-rotate the trunk; both of which could be harmful to the spine. With a t-score of -4.6, it is probably better to be overly cautious and avoid this possibility. Also, getting in and out of the kayak can be a bit challenging, increasing the risk of a fall and getting the kayak into the water would require awkward positions of the body. Even if someone else did this for you, there is still the risk of paddling with undue stress (as noted above). I don't like to say to avoid activities, but it is probably safer to stay away from this one.

Helpful Tips

Comment
    Good luck... More
    Was this Helpful?
    2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website