Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Kayaking
bjhodg56 posted:
My T score for my spine is -4.6...should I kayak or not...

Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Bjhodg56,

I would certainly consult your doctor before you do kayak. If your doctor thinks you'll be ok I am sure you'll be fine. NOF has a few articles on exercise, that might help you a bit more too, you can find them here:

http://www.nof.org/aboutosteoporosis/movingsafely/spinestrengthening

and here:

http://www.nof.org/aboutosteoporosis/prevention/excersiceexamples

Take care and let us know what the doctor says!
Emma

bonebabe responded:
Kayaking involves a lot of twisting of the spine and your score is extremely low. I don't know what other risk factors you have for fracture (previous fracture, parent had hip fracture, steroid use, etc) but if I were you, I'd find another less strenuous activity.

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Karen Kemmis, PT, DPT, MS responded:
When kayaking is done properly, the spine is in a very upright position and the muscles of the back are doing some great strengthening. Unfortunately, it is easy to move into a forward position and to over-rotate the trunk; both of which could be harmful to the spine. With a t-score of -4.6, it is probably better to be overly cautious and avoid this possibility. Also, getting in and out of the kayak can be a bit challenging, increasing the risk of a fall and getting the kayak into the water would require awkward positions of the body. Even if someone else did this for you, there is still the risk of paddling with undue stress (as noted above). I don't like to say to avoid activities, but it is probably safer to stay away from this one.

Helpful Tips

Great product for arthritis pain sufferers
For two years, I was suffering with pain in my left arm. In addition, I grew a bone spur on my left foot. The doctor diagnosed me with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website