Find Information About:

Drugs & Supplements

Get information and reviews on prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, vitamins, and supplements. Search by name or medical condition.

Pill Identifier

Pill Identifier

Having trouble identifying your pills?

Enter the shape, color, or imprint of your prescription or OTC drug. Our pill identification tool will display pictures that you can compare to your pill.

Get Started

My Medicine

Save your medicine, check interactions, sign up for FDA alerts, create family profiles and more.

Get Started

WebMD Health Experts and Community

Talk to health experts and other people like you in WebMD's Communities. It's a safe forum where you can create or participate in support groups and discussions about health topics that interest you.

• Second Opinion

Second Opinion

Read expert perspectives on popular health topics.

• Community

Connect with people like you, and get expert guidance on living a healthy life.

Got a health question? Get answers provided by leading organizations, doctors, and experts.

Get Answers

All communities will be placed in read-only mode (you will be able to see and search for posts but not start or reply to discussions) as we conduct maintenance. We will make another announcement when posting is re-opened. Thank you for your continued support and patience, and if you have any further questions, please email

Yours in health,
WebMD Community Management

Includes Expert Content
bjhodg56 posted:
My T score for my spine is -4.6...should I kayak or not...
Emma_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Bjhodg56,

I would certainly consult your doctor before you do kayak. If your doctor thinks you'll be ok I am sure you'll be fine. NOF has a few articles on exercise, that might help you a bit more too, you can find them here:

and here:

Take care and let us know what the doctor says!
bonebabe responded:
Kayaking involves a lot of twisting of the spine and your score is extremely low. I don't know what other risk factors you have for fracture (previous fracture, parent had hip fracture, steroid use, etc) but if I were you, I'd find another less strenuous activity.
Karen Kemmis, PT, DPT, MS responded:
When kayaking is done properly, the spine is in a very upright position and the muscles of the back are doing some great strengthening. Unfortunately, it is easy to move into a forward position and to over-rotate the trunk; both of which could be harmful to the spine. With a t-score of -4.6, it is probably better to be overly cautious and avoid this possibility. Also, getting in and out of the kayak can be a bit challenging, increasing the risk of a fall and getting the kayak into the water would require awkward positions of the body. Even if someone else did this for you, there is still the risk of paddling with undue stress (as noted above). I don't like to say to avoid activities, but it is probably safer to stay away from this one.

Helpful Tips

Stretching and Swimming
low impact and have found to be the two best activities for overall fitness More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website