Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dangers of Calcium Supplements
megmo84 posted:
New research suggests calcium supplements are a danger to heart health. (See the link below.) A personal concern... I eat a calcium-rich diet, but take 600-900 mg calcium carbonate + vitamin D to counteract my not-so-healthy choices (salty foods, caffeine, phosphoric acid).

Given my consumption of these "calcium-leachers", do calcium supplements still pose a threat?

http://mp.medscape.com/cgi-bin1/DM/t/hDJcG0PBwRH0Euh0DliA0GK&uac=97058BN

bonebabe responded:
Who knows any more? It seems like some study or another is always coming out to tell us that whatever it is we're doing is going to hurt us.

What we tell all our patients and have for the 20 years our osteoporosis center has been in existence is to get as much calcium as you can from diet and supplement the rest. That's why they're called supplements. Calcium is something the body needs and we have to supply it as best we can.

I like this thought that someone posted on my Facebook page:

"Isn't it a shame. All those health nuts lying in the hospital dying from nothing."

bonebabe replied to bonebabe's response:
Just came across this link.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2011/04/21/sussing-out-calcium-supplements-and-heart-disease-risk/?blog_id=10&post_id=48004

megmo84 replied to bonebabe's response:
I suppose my confusion lies in my consumption of dietary components that leach calcium - caffeine, sodium, and phosphoric acid. Would I benefit from extra calcium - higher than the 1200 mg recommendation - to offset the potential adverse effects of these ingredients?

bonebabe replied to megmo84's response:
No. If you take a calcium supplement and get even a little calcium in your diet, I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it.

Helpful Tips

shoes
bought many kinds of shoes to help my feet and leg pain. I finally found that Merrell offered the kind of sole and insole that almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website