Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fosamax Annual Injection
ledalear posted:
This actually pertains to my mother's osteoporosis. She has been taking Fosamax since December and now her doctor wants her to have the annual Fosamax injection. I have been looking for anything that tells me whether or not this injection is safe for someone her age (she's 82). And to complicate things, she only has one kidney. Has anyone heard anything about the annual injection?

bonebabe responded:
This medication is called Reclast. It's a wonderful alternative for those who have gastric problems with a pill. My own brother has the injection with no side effects, however he is a 50 year old male in good health.

We have many many patients in our osteoporosis center who prefer the Reclast. Age doesn't seem to be a problem, in fact, with age being the biggest risk factor with this disease, the drugs are formulated with that in mind.

The kidney issue, to my knowledge, is only found with Forteo and then is very very rare. Much less of a risk than having a fracture.

You might find this interesting. Reclast has been proven to be so effective in preventing hip fractures in particular, that many orthopedics now routinely give it during surgery to repair an osteoporotic hip fracture.

ledalear replied to bonebabe's response:
I appreciate this information. I'm just scared that now that my mother is doing so well, that her doctor might do something to set us back to when she first started feeling so bad. I'll check out the Reclast and see what I can find.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website