Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Good Exercises for the Spine
socalmaria posted:
Are there any good exercises that focus on the spine area. I have had good results with exercises and drugs in improving the scores for my hips but the spine hasn't improved as much. Any suggestions?

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Susan Randall, RN, FNP-BC, MSN responded:
Exercise has many benefits for people with and at risk of osteoporosis. While we don't know how much bone density a person can gain from exercising, exercise may help prevent bone loss, reduce the risk of fractures and lessen the likelihood of falling. For your bone health, it is important to maintain a well-rounded exercise program that includes weight-bearing exercises and muscle-strengthening (resistance) exercises. Balance, posture and functional exercises are also important. For general information about these exercises, please visit Exercise for Healthy Bones

For some specific exercise examples, visit:

Exercise examples

Spine strengthening exercises

Finally, working with a physical therapist (PT) who is knowledgeable about osteoporosis can help you develop an exercise program that is individualized to your needs. You may want to ask your healthcare provider if you can have a referral to see a PT.

dumalite2 responded:
Yes, I would like an exercise also that focuses on the spine area....

periwinkle52 replied to dumalite2's response:
Hi there! I'm not sure if The Osteoporosis Foundation would include this, but, after my back fusion, the Physical therapists my Dr. sent me to, would not work on me, due to the condition of my bones. So, before surgery, I had developed a water therapy work-out, for myself. It included the water weights, which can be bought online, & they arrive with a book full of low impact water exercises, that worked wonderfully! I did my own, post surgery therapy, which my surgeon was thrilled with my recovery! The water therapy, is low impact, and then with the weights, that includes the resistance you need. I still do it daily, as my bones are not good & every minute in the pool, is a PLUS! periwinkle p.s. you can almost always, find a pool in your area, that has times in their schedule, for people like us, that need water therapy!

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website