Skip to content
Teeth & Reclast
Janemarie55 posted:
I am 60 years of age, and female. I had an infusion with Reclast in August of 2010, and considering it again next month. I have had some problems with my teeth over the past months and need 2 of my teeth extracted. Do you think they will work on my teeth because of being on Reclast, and should I wait until after I have my teeth worked on to have my next infusion of Reclast next month? My T-score was a little worse this year than last, so my Dr. also wants me on Calcitonin nasal spray as well. I've had two fractures in the past 5 years, one being a vertebrae.

bonebabe responded:
You could wait, it really won't make much difference though. The bisphosphonates continue to work in the body for years. Going off for few months doesn't do anything but make the dentist and/or the patient feel good.

The problems with these drugs and teeth on normal healthy people are rare. Initially the first reports of jaw necrosis were on nursing home cancer patients. Since then there have been other reports, not all documented to have been caused by the drugs. If you do have a problem, the teeth will heal. It may take a little longer, but they will heal.

It sounds like already having had two fractures, one a vertebral fracture which in and of itself gives you a diagnosis of osteoporosis, makes your risk of fracturing much much higher than your risk of any dental problems.

Tomato05 responded:
I don't know what the stance is of dentists in the USA, but I've tried to get implants in some other countries (South Africa, Thailand) while on biphosphonates and they refused to do them until I'd been off the medication for at least 3 months. I know in Australia they won't do it too if you're on biphosphonates,

I've now been off Fosamax for about 5 - 6 years and have had a number of implants done in this period without complications.

l5pine replied to Tomato05's response:
Hi Tomato, would you please share what dental implants you've received and how you're doing with them? I'm considering them myself. I've been off Fosamax for about 4 1/2 years now. Thanks and Best, DF

Tomato05 replied to l5pine's response:
I've had 9 implants (very expensive mouth!) and I need two more, but they will have to wait until next year - too many unexpected expenses this year.

I have severe osteoporosis (my density statistics look worse than just about anyone else's I've seen here), but so far they seem to have been a success. They are all still in place! No complications so far, and their "age" varies from 6 years to 1 year.

As for the type, the dentist (orthodontist) decided which ones are best depending on its location and other factors. I think they're pretty standard types.

I would definitely recommend implants. Expensive as they are, in the long term they save you money, as you don't have to undergo repeat root canal treatments, no problems with decay, etc.

bonebabe replied to Tomato05's response:
Hi Tomato,

I'm curious as to why you had implants in the first place. Was it because of your osteoporosis causing you to lose bone in the jaw? I know we've had several dentists refer patients to us because of jaw bone loss.

I commend you for having the implants. I think I'd rather clean up after a fire than have done what you did :)

Tomato05 replied to bonebabe's response:
Hi Bonebabe - the implant procedure is not too bad, just time-consuming, as you have to wait for months between various stages to allow the implant to integrate (dentists allow more time for people with osteoporosis).

The worst part is the tooth extraction before the implant! Here the dentist also waited for about 2 months for the wound to heal after the extraction before starting the procedure.

My implants weren't due to bone loss in the jaw. They were needed for various reasons not directly osteoporosis-related, e.g. fractured roots, not enough retention which caused crowns to keep falling out, etc.

Many of the problems were due to ill-fitting crowns, where bacteria leaked in and weakened the tooth or caused decay; then the tooth broke off level with the gumline, and consequently the crowns just didn't want to stay on.

I've spent so many hours in dentists' chairs that I am now quite relaxed in them - so relaxed that I nearly fell asleep once during treatment!

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website