Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How Has Osteoporosis Impacted Your Life?
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
Osteoporosis symptoms and complications may not appear until it is too late. Fractures, aches and pains, medication side effects may impact your daily activities.

Tell us how osteoporosis has impacted your life?

Share your tips for over coming some of the obstacles osteoporosis throws your way.

Elizabeth

Tomato05 responded:
I've had a number of fractures because of my osteoporosis, and as a result I have a few "weak spots" like my back (2 stress fractures) and heel (2 calcaneal fractures).

This means in my daily life I have to:
a) be vigilant: prevent falls,take care with the way I lift items, and the way I carry my body (no sudden twists, back always straight, etc.), avoid slippery areas , take care on uneven surfaces, generally use common sense;
b) ensure I get enough calcium and vit. D (and keep my nutrition good in general);
c) exercise most days - it makes me strong and more agile; it's amazing how much strong muscles can protect your bones. For example, my strong core is an incredible help in keeping my back straight in situations where I could otherwise have "slumped", even without realising it.

I think my biggest "tip" would be strength training - real weight lifting. It has made a huge difference for me.

periwinkle52 responded:
Boy, I wish I had known the damage, going on in my body. I've written in here before, but, After reading the previous story on "Osteoporosis Impacting" one's body, she sure got off easy! Unfortunately, I have a disease that went undiagnosed for years. Part of it was my Parathyroids, which produce our calcium, all had adenoma's on them. Therefore, my bones had not been receiving calcium, for who knows how long! The short list, 1st hint, broken hip, @ 35yrs. old! Then found out why all the back pain. It was broken in 3 places, having to have a fusion w/rods, plates & who knows how many screws & metal! Then my knees. Left one, was 1st to be re-placed, still too chicken to do the right! Oh, and both wrists broken! So, I think I would be happy to lift weights!!! periwinkle

Tomato05 replied to periwinkle52's response:
Sorry to hear about all your misfortunes, Periwinkle.

I've had a number of fractures, not only the ones I mentioned. I have had fractures in ribs, spine, feet, toes, wrist, heel - nothing as bad as you though.

Still, I hope your body is adjusting and that the knee replacement has been an improvement (and that the 2nd one will be too).

Are you able to do weight-lifting at all, after all your fractures? Maybe just very light weights, or using your body weight only?

Exercising must be problematic for you; I would imagine swimming or maybe recumbent bike (if it doesn't affect your knees) could be possible.

Let's hope the fractures stay away in future...

periwinkle52 replied to Tomato05's response:
Thank-you so much, for your thoughts. Well, I bought a pool, maybe 5-7yrs. ago, as my Dr. told me water therapy would be low impact & also help as I use water weights. So, on I go, this year, trying to build up my knee, back, & tummy. Unfortuanately, the saying, "No pain, no gain," does not apply! I haven't mentioned, but I've also had numerous abdomen surgeries, also. Perhaps, around, 12. That's roughly, my surgeon also took a wild guess, as it would take too long to go thru my chart! At any rate, off I go, starting with aerobics, water walking, then jogging,w/weights. I usually did some abdomen exercises in there before winding down, trying to build ANY muscles that may be left! Well, tomorrow, a.m. is my next surgery to repair a large hernia,w/intestines jetting thru! The rest of my tummy is" mesh" due to all the other surgeries. I honestly thought, there was hope, to try to regain my tummy, or @ least SOME of it! Apparently, that "no pain, no gain", does not apply to me. I thought I felt something, early in the season, but, my Pain Dr. assured me that with all the Mesh, in my tummy, a Hernia would be, "Next to impossible!" I learned one thing from this, actually several, 1. No more tummy muscles to re-build, & 2.I need to stick with walking, period. I guess I will never have the body I had many years ago, when I was a competition water skier! Sorry for such a long reply, periwinkle

Helpful Tips

Great product for arthritis pain sufferers
For two years, I was suffering with pain in my left arm. In addition, I grew a bone spur on my left foot. The doctor diagnosed me with ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website