Skip to content
Fosamax Holiday
An_240288 posted:
I decided to take a "Fosamax Holiday" a few weeks ago as I have been on the meds over 10 years. How long should I stay off before my bone growth factor will "reset?" I feel no side effects of stopping the meds so far.

bonebabe responded:
I'm not sure what you mean. Are you asking if the Fosamax "fixed" the reabsorption problem? If so, the answer is no. The reabsorption process is only slowed down while taking the meds. I'd suggest you have another DXA 2 years after stopping the Fosamax to determine if you're stable.

An_240288 replied to bonebabe's response:
No,I am asking how long I should skip taking Fosamax before the possible thigh bone fracture issue improves. I have had bone density tests every 2 years...I think I need to be on the medicine permanently but just want to take periodic "time offs" if it will decrease the possibilility of thigh bone fracture.

Tomato05 replied to An_240288's response:
The half-life of Fosamax (the length of time half of the drug remains in your bones) is 10 years according to some sources, so I suppose in that period it still continues to have some effect.

I have now been "Fosamax-free" for 7 1/2 years...

I don't think fairly short breaks will set you free of the thigh bone fracture risk, but then you have to weigh up the other pros and cons of the drug as well.

bonebabe replied to An_240288's response:
I see. What I can tell you, like Tomato, is that the drug stays in your body for 10 years. As for the thigh bone hype, the medical director of the osteoporosis center where I've worked for 15 years recently did a community program that specifically addressed that concern. This doctor is an osteoporosis expert and travels a good deal giving talks. She's also on the International Society of Clinical Densitometrists board. She said that this particular study is being done by a group in New Zealand who's sole purpose and funding is to prove the drugs cause these fractures. So far they've not succeeded. The fact is that these fractures occur in people not on bisphosphonates as people who are and no common link can be proven. Also, while they make great headline news and garner viewers for a network, they're rare. About 1 in 50,000 people have these fractures and those aren't always in someone on the meds.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website