Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
broken 5th metatarsal bone in the foot
llqbee1 posted:
hi--i suffered a fracture of my right foot--5th metatarsal bone--1 week ago today--i fell down stairs while vacuuming--trying to do too much at once!
it only felt like a bruised foot--so i iced it--elevated it --took ibrophen and went out dancing--believe it or not with my husband and friends--it didn't feel too bad until late that night--went to bed with it elevated and ice--the next am i could hardly stand on it! went to urgent care--x-ray showed a broken 5th metatarsal bone--they wrapped me in an ace-bandage--said to elevate it--ice--pain meds and use cruches to walk--two days later went to orthopedist --got my walking boot--said to use it as tolerated and in house ace-bandage--walk on heal as tolerated or use cruches continue with ice-elevate-pain meds--can drive went i can tolerate pushing the pedals--i am started to get pain in my back--i think from using the walking boot as it makes that leg longer than the other--any ideas on how to prevent the back pain --i need to get back to work asap--as i don't get paid for not working:(
thanks for any info you have--llqbee1

Tomato05 responded:
Sorry to hear about the fracture; hope it won't cause you too much pain and heals quickly!

For the back pain because of the boot: maybe elevate the heel of the healthy foot so that it is on more or less the same level, e.g. orthopedics in that shoe, or wear a shoe with a slight heel on that foot that will bring the two feet level?

Or, if you could use one crutch or walking stick on the healthy side to help you limp less, that could also help.

For short "walks"/movements like in the house you could maybe manage without the boot if it's not too painful, and wear it for longer distances like when shopping.

Good luck; in a few weeks you should start feeling an improvement.

llqbee1 replied to Tomato05's response:
thanks for the info--it was very helpful--it's really hard for me to stay still and rest it--but i am really trying--i need to get back to work asap--

llqbee1 replied to llqbee1's response:
am not sure if it is normal--but the toes on my broken foot feel like they are being sweezed--like they are numb? without anything on the foot--

Helpful Tips

shoes
bought many kinds of shoes to help my feet and leg pain. I finally found that Merrell offered the kind of sole and insole that almost ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website