Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    eddymac posted:
    I have a 37 year old son who has CP, is blind and mentally retarded. Recently, his temperment has changed and he appears to be in pain. His hips are displaced and his knee joints are extremely large in comparison to his legs which are very thin because of lack of muscle. Is anyone aware of any type of medication that would help with this problem? We live in Central Florida and we have been unable to locate a doctor who specializes in CP.

    bonebabe responded:
    I'm so sorry to hear of this. It must be very difficult and worrisome for you as well as for him.

    Have you talked to a rheumatologist about this? That might be a starting point.

    Hopefully one of the physician experts on this board can address this and give you some direction.
    Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
    Hello and Welcome Eddymac,

    I wanted to offer this information to help find resources and health care professionals in Florida -

    United Cerebral Palsy: Find your local UCP
    The ARC of Florida
    National Federation of the Blind Florida

    Hopefully, one of these organizations can point you in the direction of an orthopedist with background in CP. You may also want to try a larger teaching or University hospital.

    Hoping you find answers soon, please keep us posted,
    eddymac replied to bonebabe's response:
    Good Morning and Thank you Bonebabe - our family doctor decided to xray Jeff's lower extremeties before referring him to an Orthopedic Physicial - hopefully some answers will be forthcoming and Jeff will get some relief.

    eddymac replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
    Good Morning and thank you for your suggestions.

    Jeff goes to ARC and we did contact United Cerebral Palsy of Central Florida; sadly they are/were unable to offer any assistance.

    We haven't contacted any Blind Services yet but we sure will as they were the only organizations that offered us any suggestions/assistance when Jeff was first born.

    Jeff's doctor is taking xrays of his lower extremeties and maybe we will have some answers soon.


    Helpful Tips

    Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
    The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    24 of 34 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website