Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Osteoporosis
schoolboardlady posted:
I experienced by first rib fracture four years ago and have had two since while my T scores have not declined too much. I am small boned, white, 55 yo female. It seems I lost a huge amount of mineralization during perimenopause and then "menopause" at age 48. (I also breast fed my children (for 6 mos, then 18 mos. then 3 years!), the first born when I was 32 and the third at age 40).

In my mind, my battle now is to minimize slower loss or rebuild a bit.

No one seems to be mentioning the latest research with dried plums as an effective dietary "bone builder".
http://www.medwire-news.md/45/44692/ObGyn/Dried_plum_extract_helps_build_bones.html

I'm still a bit scared about bisphosphonates since I've learned they inhibit osteoblasts somewhat in addition to inhibiting (apoptosis--killing) osteoclasts. That phosphorus builds up in the bone and remains there, inhibiting bone turn over seems to be threatening to bone strength--allowing 'old bone" to accumulate, not necessarily 'strong bone".

Tomato05 responded:
It sounds promising (the dried plum research) - thanks for sharing. I hope they will develop a supplement soon; for us to get the benefit from dried plums I suppose one would have to eat large amounts (calories would add up quickly and your diet would also become unbalanced).

I took bisphosphonates for a number of years and it dit not help me. However, since I've started taking strontium ralenate (I don't live in the USA) and doing a lot of exercise, including plenty weight lifting, I have had an improvement in my bone density.

schoolboardlady replied to Tomato05's response:
Actually, the study quoted 100 calories (approx 6 dried plums). What scares me is so many of the bisphosphonate advocates can't fully explain the mechanism at work, besides likely apoptosis of osteoclasts. Weight bearing exercise seems to be a tried and true 'retardant" of the bone loss--but of course, that takes effort and commitment! The medical community seems to prefer pills.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Schoolboardlady and Welcome!

Here a link to a prune/plum discussion posted earlier this week.

Prunes - Good for Heart and Bones

Thought you may be interested in it.

Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website