Skip to content
Fractured Vertebrae & Osteoporosis
Janemarie55 posted:
Hi Everyone, I'm 61 years young. I fractured my T 12 while I was working in November of 2009. I had Kyphoplasty a couple of months later. I also fractured my ulna & radius in 2007 and actually crushed the bones. Since the fracture of the T 12 in 2009 I have been told I have Osteopenia and through a back surgery not related to the fractures, was told i have soft bones. Here is my question.Can the fracturing of my T 12 be related to all the problems I currently have with my digestive system? I have cramps and diarrhea a couple of times a month. Also, a few months after the fracture, my stomach began to pouch outward, and allot of times I feel bloated. I get plenty of calcium, D-3 and Reclast once a year. Will the stomach issues ever get better, and is there something I can do to help? I will add that I had a fusion at L 3/4 & L 4/5 in June of 2010. I had to quit my job in 2010 and I'm on SSDI. I feel very frustrated.

Tomato05 responded:
I think you should maybe go for tests (e.g. at a endocrinologist). They can test you for coeliac disease or other digestive disorders that may be preventing you from absorbing nutrients (including Calcium and Vit. D) properly.

bonebabe responded:
I agree with Tomato. You should be tested for underlying causes of your fractures. You could very well have an absorption problem.

If your vertebral fractures were nontraumatic fractures, regardless of your T-scores, you have a clinical diagnosis of osteoporosis.

The fractures in the back and/or poor posture can also contribute to the stomach "pooching" out.

periwinkle52 replied to bonebabe's response:
Good morning, I also have had a back fusion, due to 3 broken vertabrae, along with many other non-traumatic bone fractures. The interesting thing is, before I was ever even diagnosed with the illness I am dealing with, my fist surgeries were all in my colon! I had to have a resection, due to knots & tangles, of my colon! Come to find out, many years later, that YES, a-lot of my problems, (bones included), are due to the fact, that my digestive tract, does not absorb nutrients the way it should! In fact, my Dr. told me, it does not function @ all! I have to take Miralax, daily, for bowel movements, and I consider myself extremely lucky to not have had a colostomy, at this point! My tummy is covered in "mesh", due to all the abdominal surgeries, but, thanks to my fantastic Surgeon, he has somehow kept me all together! And that's after some 15 or so abdominal surgeries! But, the point being, YES, if your digestive tract is not functioning correctly, it definately has repercussions on other parts of our bodies! Good luck, periwinkle

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website