Skip to content
Fosamax side effects
thinbones posted:
I had a DEXA bone scan done in August, and the results were not good. My right hip had a score of -2.9; the left hip was -2.5, and the spine was -3.9. My doctor wanted to start me on Prolia, but that medication tends to raise cholesterol levels, and I already take both Crestor and Zetia to keep my cholesterol down. I decided to try Fosamax, but within six days of taking the first dose, all of my arthritic joints were swollen. I have arthritis in both knees, in the left wrist, and in my neck. Both knees were swollen with fluid as was the left wrist, and my neck was very painful. I didn't take the second dose, and the swelling in the joints slowly went down. Both of my orthopedic doctors insist that the Fosamax was not the cause of the symptoms. However, I have had arthritis for 14 years, and I have never had my joints swell as they did after the first dose of Fosamax. Am I correct in assuming that the Fosamax caused the arthritic joints to swell???

bonebabe responded:
Try it again as a control and see what happens. If you have the same problem, don't take Fosamax. If you don't, take the drug or something similar. Your scores are way too low to not do anything.

thinbones replied to bonebabe's response:
Easy for you to say: try the Fosamax again. My knees were so full of fluid that I could barely sit down on the toilet because of the pain, and I had to be very careful when I walked, lest I fall down. My arthritic wrist was swollen double. When I didn't take any more of the Fosamax, my joints went back to normal. Right now, I am doing nothing. I would take Stronium renalate if I could find it, but I am very afraid of the bone strengthening medications. Some people just cannot take that stuff.

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website