Skip to content
ReClast Side Effects
osteograndma posted:
My mother (77) had her first Reclast Infusion about 6 weeks ago. For the first few days she felt pretty good. Then she started having side effects. Flu like symptoms, very painful joints and muscles, weakness, etc. as the weeks have gone on - the side effects have continued to get worse and worse. She has no appetite, no strength, very very tired, can't keep up with any of her daily routines, has very bad pain. We have contacted the doctor on several times. He has prescribed pain meds - changed the pain meds, given her anxiety and antidepressants. They did do another blood draw at the end of the week which we are still waiting to hear back on. To be frank - my mom is scared to death that she won't get any better ever!!. My father is worried as well. Can anyone give me any input on their experiences with this. How long do these side effects continue??? Mom keeps saying that having taken this medicine is the worst mistake she has ever made in her life.

Janemarie55 responded:
I know the doctors may give another opinion, but I understand what your mom's going through. It is because of the possible side affects from Reclast, that I have chosen not to take this drug a second time. Like your mom, I had flu like symptoms and the joint pain for about 3 months and then slowly I recovered. Some people who take this drug have no side affects while others have horrible side affects. I'm guessing that your mom may start feeling better as the weeks go by. Just keep all her doctor appointments and try to encourage your mom as much as you can.

osteograndma replied to Janemarie55's response:
Thanks Janemarie55 for your encouragement. It is good to hear that you recovered from this. I will let my mom know that - it will give her hope. I know she won't ever have the Reclast again.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website