Skip to content
What can I do?
lovelydancer posted:
I am 65, 5'5" & weigh 105. I dance, do Zumba & yoga twice a week & have had osteoporosis for a long time. I took Miacalcin for 2 yrs & Fosomax for 9 years, & continued to loose BMD. I had an endocrinologist do blood work to see if something abnormal was going on. The answer was that I'm fine, just one of those people! It's been about 2 1/2 yrs. w/out any meds & I took another 3 site Dexa in July 2011. The comparison was from my July, 2009 Dexa.
2009 2011
Lumbar Spine: -3.4 -3.5
Femoral Neck: -3.0 -3.1
Total Hip: -2.6 -2.2
Wrist: -1.5 -0.2

It seems that my Total Hip has gotten better & my wrist has become normal. The other 2 readings have only gone down 1/10th of a %. I've always taken taken 1200 mg of calcium divided each day & now taking a larger dose of Vit D3, since Oct. 2009. On Oct. 1, 2009, I was diagnosed with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia & the next day with Mitral valve prolapse & moderately severe regurgitation. I am stable with both. In May of 2010, diagnosed with Bladder Cancer. After 2nd surgery this year, I had BCG treatment for 6 wks. because it was invasive, but not to the muscle. Hopefully, that has taken care of the cancer, but who knows. I have a big decision to make. I have 5 doctors telling me to take Reclast, Prolia, or Forteo. After lots of research, I don't want to take anything. The Reclast is just another Bisphosphonate, that didn't seem to help after 13 years. Prolia has so many contraindications for all of my new health issues and after you stop Prolia, you go back to your baseline within 12 months. You can only take Forteo for 2 yrs., then what? Forteo has some unpleasant side effects also. I don't know whether the increase of activity (started Zumba 3/09 & yoga 6/11) was what made the difference in the Total Hip & wrist. The Zumba is high impact & the yoga should help strengthen my body. I've always worked out at the gym, but maybe better concentration on body parts will help; it seemed to, with my wrist & hips. Please give me some guidance, as the meds really scare me, worse than breaking something. Thanks for any helpful feedback.

bonebabe responded:
First, let me clarify changes in bone density. It is not done by T-score. It is done by BMD and then goes through a calculation based on the lowest significant change determined by your testing center's precision study.

Your doctor should have told you whether you had an increase/decrease or remained stable. Just looking at the T-score I'd hazard a guess that your spine remained stable, which is good. When you don't lose, that's good.

The femoral neck and radius are not measured for change. Just the spine and total hip.

I'd ask your doctor or better, the tech who did your test, what their LSC based on the precision study was. If she looks blankly at you, you've not gotten a good test. Go somewhere else for your next one. You won't be able to compare if you do, but at least you'll know you're getting a quality test.

Zumba and yoga moves are tricky when your bone density is as low as yours. If I had your scores and issues, I'd let them go and do some other exercise. You want to avoid any twisting or forward bending of the spine. The repetitive movements wear down the already thin bone and that's what causes a compression fracture. You won't feel this coming on. It will just happen and then there are no second chances.

As for meds, I'd go with the Forteo. You have too many risks not to do it. It will grow new bone and then you follow with a bisphosphonate to stren

irenediane responded:
I agree with your intake of D3 and do you mention K which you may have to take baby aspirin for 81 mgs. I am wearing a weighted vest that I bought from the internet . http://osteo-solutions.com The lady who sells them gives excellent guidelines for those individuals needing this vest. You may want to email her your specific scores .You wear it for an hour or less the first week doing just household activities. Reclast , PProlia , and Forteo are all too much for me right now. What upsets me is the doctors just want to prescribe a drug. I have my mother in physical therapy and they are helping her but it is too soon to tell if her scores have improved. Wishing you better health now.

Marianakel replied to bonebabe's response:
Please tell me Bonebabe,how do I now if I had a compression fracture? Thank you very much if you will respond.

bonebabe replied to Marianakel's response:
The most accurate way to tell is to have a Vertebral Fracture Assessment done at the time of your bone density test. It's a lateral view of the entire spine and picks up any compression fractures you may have had.

If the fracture is an obvious one - you could become shorter and/or stooped.

Oftentimes people have mild compression fractures that are not recognized and they may think they pulled a muscle. Next time you have a DXA, ask the doctor to also order a VFA. It's done at the same time on the same table and is a quick easy addition to the DXA.

lovelydancer replied to bonebabe's response:
Thanks for the suggestion to Marianakel; I will take it to my next appointment and make the request. I did a lot of research since my first post 3 months ago and appreciate your quick response. I am reading the 2011 revised book by Gillian Sanson, called "The Myth of Osteoporosis". It's very startling and I suggest that you read it. I would love to get your take on it. It's the new 2011 version and my library had to order it. The book store would have had to order it too, since it is so new. The old version was 2003 and needed to be updated, since the meds are so new.

If I gave up Zumba, yoga and dancing, I would just crawl under the covers and die. If you're a dancer, you have to dance, until you just can't. I tried slowing things down in Zumba and felt like an invalid. Upon greater thought, I won't do any high impact jumping where you are in the air with both feet, in Zumba and in yoga, I stopped the squat/thrust to push up. I figured that those moves were very high impact and could be bad, but most everything else is what I need. I am also concentrating on hip and back strengthening exercises. Thanks for your previous suggestions.

Marianakel replied to lovelydancer's response:
Hi Lovelydancer-I am sorry to hear you have so many problems but you are also a very positive person,I can just learn from you and the other ladies who are posting here.My t-score is not good at all ,at spine=-3,9 at hip=-3,1 .I new I had O=porosis since 2006 but I was afraid to take medicines .But I do have to do something .Bonebabe is just fantastic teaching us so many good things ,thank you so much to all of you.Could you give me some links with exercises for spine and hip ? I am sure I had a vertebral compression 3 years ago,since then I have pain ,almost always if I do something like vacumming or mopping -it is bearable but still I am concerned.I am 62 y old ,I took calcium and vitamin D but not in a regular basis,now I do take it in regular basis,Could you give me more advice adn guidance ? Thank you again.

The best thing you can do is order the booklet "Boning Up on Osteoporosis" from the National Osteoporosis Foundation. (www.nof.org ). It costs a dollar now, I believe. We use it teaching our rehab classes. It has actual pictures of exercises and movements to do and/or avoid along with tons of information on calcium, vitamin D and other things you hadn't even thought to ask. Your numbers are low and you should be extremely careful in your everyday activities, like vacuuming and mopping, etc. This book will help. If your doctor has not talked to you about Forteo, initiate that discussion. Good luck to you.

Marianakel replied to bonebabe's response:
Bonebabe ,you are amazing ,and this site is too,thank you to all of you for being so helpful,especially Bonebabe.You are helping me more then my doctor who does not take seriously my requests.

Thank you for your kind words. People like you are the reason I post. We hear all the time from our patients that their doctors don't take the time to discuss bone health with them for whatever reason.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
56 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website