Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Osteo and ribs
An_242073 posted:
I am 59 with a diagnosis of osteo, fractured my T9 and T11 last year. Last week I reached down and twisted while picking up something off the floor. I heard a "pop" sound on my rib cage-lower right. ended up in emergency and the doc said I had "popped" the rib off the cartlage. Anyone else experienced this?

mccindy responded:
The first time I popped a rib I was in total shock that this could really happen. The pain was horrible. Once it was popped back in place I couldn't believe the relief. Next time it happened I layed on the floor and told my husband where to push down. He was able to pop it back in and I have never had the problem again.
My first time happened when I stepped gently down from a ladder after cleaning my ceiling fan.
Cindy

sdbirder responded:
I am also 59 with osteo, also fractured T11 last year...I have experienced repeated rib dislocations over the past 2 years, in several different ribs. The last one was a little cough, and "pop", out came the rib. It took my chiropractor 6 weeks to get it to stay in place. I have also had "broken cartilage" in my lower ribs from rolling over in bed. I've been told the issues are a combination of osteoporosis and weak collagen, with no suggested solutions other than another osteo med (Prolia is next). I eat a well balanced diet, but struggle to exercise consistently due to pain from my back issues. I wish you well in your journey to get better.

Marianakel replied to sdbirder's response:
hello sdbirder.would you be so nice and tell me how did you fractured your T11?And how is your pain and how affects you now? I have the same problem and I am very upset .Also I am very scared about osteo meds ,I did not take any of them till now because I am afraid of their side effects.Thank you !

sdbirder replied to Marianakel's response:
BTW I dislocated 4, count 'em, four ribs at a Super Bowl party when rotating my upper body to speak to a friend sitting next to me. I'm doing better now that the chiropractor put things back. Anyway, oddly enough, I don't know exactly when my T11 fracture occurred. The fracture was discovered in an MRI for pain in my upper back from scoliosis. It was my first confirmed vertebral compression fracture. They said it was "old" since it occurred early in the 6-months between MRIs. So now I am even more worried when I have sharp pain in my back. I am sure my situation would have been worse if I had not used osteo meds in the past. At 48 I had the bone density of the average 90-year-old. Now I have improved to the bone density of an 80-year-old with the help of meds. I can only imagine where my back pain would be without them.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
53 of 64 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website