Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
forteo
An_242305 posted:
I am 55 yrs old and have a long history of rheumatoid arthritis - My bone density test showed a -2.5 in the hip and my dr recommended Forteo - I already take so many meds - Humira / methotrexate / celebrex for RA
I have also been on Actone since 2007 but I guess it didnt work because my bone density test was lower
I am very concerned about the study with the rats and cancer of the bone -
Are there any other holistic or herbs ways to build bone ?
can anyone respond regarding the use of Forteo if you are taking it ?or have taken it?
Thanks

bonebabe responded:
Forget the rats and cancer. Doesn't apply to humans and was only a handful of rats anyway. Your risks are great for a life altering fracture. Since the Actonel didn't work effectively enough to counter the meds you're on, take the Forteo. There are no proven "natural" ways to rebuild bone once you're past your bone building years. I'd hate for you to have a no do-over compression fracture and wish you'd taken the Forteo.

periwinkle52 responded:
Good morning, In reply to your question. I was on Forteo for 2yrs., and just recently had my bone density done. It was not good. My bones did not improve @ all, but, I do have to take Steroids on a daily basis, to stay alive, and my Paratyroids, which produce our Calcium, had to be removed almost 10yrs. ago, due to tumors. So, I don't know if this could be considered a "normal case", I have too many things going against me. It would have to be a Miracle drug, to help me @ this point! There are many links from here, to other sites that may also be helpful, beyond the many very helpful experts & members, on this site. Good luck to you, periwinkle p.s. If I had the chance, @ a Dr.'s recommendation, for help with my bones, I would jump @ it!!!

megmo84 replied to periwinkle52's response:
Hi Periwinkle -- Sorry to hear Forteo didn't improve your BMD. However, please remember the notion of "quality versus quantity". Forteo has been shown to improve bone integrity among many. I've heard several accounts of people sustaining serious falls without a break thanks to the effects of the drug. Best wishes to you... megmo84

periwinkle52 replied to megmo84's response:
Good morning, Thank-you for your interest. Yes, The fact is, I have not seen my Endo Dr., yet. Hopefully, he will have the answers I need. Gosh knows, they have already rebuilt the main bones, in my body! I can only pray, that it did do some kind of improvement! I need a plus on my side! Right now, my main complaint is Carpal Tunnel in both arms. It makes it difficult to type, but even more, to use my cane, which really keeps me from falling, many times! My Dr. ordered me a walker with some sort of arm holder's. I guess they keep me arms up, so I'm not putting so much pressure on them. As for surgery for the C.T.S., I really get a sense of HIGH anxiety, when any Dr. mentions the "S" word!! I'm at 25 surgeries in 10yrs. & honestly freak out anymore, being rolled into the O.R.! I know there are MANY other people whom have suffered thru much more, but right now, I feel like I'm @ a breaking point! But, I do Thank-you, for your words of encouragement & can only pray for some good news @ my next appt. Thanks again, periwinkle

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website