Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Osteoporosis in Men - Dioxins, Agent Orange
BillHoover posted:
I am a 100% disabled (combat wounded) Veteran of the Viet Nam conflict. Most of my problems didn't appear (that I was aware of) until about 23 years after my tours on the rivers and coastline. I was adjudged to have dioxins in my organs and blood. I started breaking bones at a alarming rate. My legs are mostly metal. I am now in a wheelchair because of it.

I have read the Osteoporosis information that appears to deal mostly with females and I've read the article for men.

Can anyone connect up my brittle bone disease directly to the dioxins or is it just a part of the overall poison in my body? To put it another way, The dioxins caused my diabetes, gastrointestinal problems, etc. Did these diseases cause the osteoporosis or did the osteoporosis develop as a direct result of the chemicals?

I know this sounds crazy but, I would like to know the answer just for my own information.

bonebabe responded:
Hopefully one of the medical experts on this board will address this. I've not heard of a connection, but then, data on men is not as plentiful as on women, and when you add in the combat tours, it narrows it down even further.

I hope your doctor is working with you on doing what you can to avoid any further fracturing. Best of health wishes to you.

BillHoover replied to bonebabe's response:
Thanks,

My Doc is very aggressively working with me. She really keeps a connection. I do get e-mail from her in between visits and she sends me a lot of articles. I've even gotten use to the articles being female centered.

I sure would hope that one of the Experts would happen on to my post and e-mail with me a bit.

Thank you for supporting me by answering.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

osteo
heard to take aleve it helps? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website