Skip to content
Friend has broken wrist needs surgery
baseballgirl_22 posted:
My friend broken her wrist yesterday and it was bad her wrist looked like it had broken in two. The doctors in the ER put her under conscious sedation so that they could set her wrist. My friend has no medical insurance and when the orthopedic surgeon came in to talk to us he told her shed need metal rods and pins put into her arm because the break was so bad. He told her that he can't and won't do anything because she has no medical insurance at all. The question she has is what will happen to her wrist if she doesn't have the surgery? Because right now that's the way it's heading, so if anyone can help or give me an answer to this question I'd appreciate it.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi baseballgirl_22,

I am sorry to hear about your friend and hope she has asked for a second opinion or contacted another surgeon.

I am surprised she would be denied proper treatment in an emergency room or hospital based on ability to pay.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to answer your question without an exam and x-rays. You have good questions that should be addressed.

Please continue to seek treatment for your friend and keep us posted,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website