Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
New Bone Density Study - Not all agree with results
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
A new study suggests women with normal bone density at 67 may not need repeat test for 15 years.

Bone Density at Age 67 May Predict Later Bone Health

Seems like a long time to wait, especially when a bone density test is quick, painless and relatively inexpensive (compared to other tests).

After reading the article, come back and share your thoughts?

Elizabeth

Tomato05 responded:
Maybe it is because I have osteoporosis myself, but I also think more regular tests are wiser.

People's lifestyles can change (for the worse) quickly and contribute towards developing osteoporosis a lot.

For example, a 67 year old woman (or man) may become much less active than she has been all her life (due to general aches and pains preventing her from exercising, retirement, etc.). Or she may start watching her finances more when on retirement and not buy as much dairy as before. And spend more time indoors and get less vit. D, etc.

If her bones weaken as a result, at least the bone density test will pick it up and she can modify her lifestyle and diet before things get worse.

bonebabe replied to Tomato05's response:
Absolutely right. The biggest risk factor with osteoporosis is aging. To wait from age 67 to 82 for a repeat test is extremely risky.

I think, as people read this survey, they miss out on the key word as being "Normal" at age 67. We have seen very few normal bone density readings in 67 year old women.

To go even further, as I've said many times, it is not all about a T-score. It's about your risk for fracture and the T-score is only one of them. But then people who want to avoid any action will take what they want from a study and use it to justify their actions. To bad there are no do-overs with a fracture.

The NOF has issued a statement disputing this "finding' too.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website