Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
acid/alkaline food
DavidCo posted:
I have read that an acid forming food diet causes bone loss that can lead to osteporosis.

Attempting to find reputible lists of acid or alkaline foods results in contradictions. For example, some sites list sunflower seeds as acid and other site lists sundflower seeds as alkaline.

Please recommend a reputible site for acid and alkaline forming foods.

I find it difficult trying to follow a more alkaline diet.

Take the Poll

acid
  • What is poll choice 1?
  • What is poll choice 2?
vote
View Poll Results

Tomato05 responded:
I think that the body is adapted to control its pH automatically through various biochemical processes, so I wouldn't worry about "avoiding acid-forming foods", rather just avoid food that is not high in nutrition.

Many of the acidic foods are perfectly healthy and your body in fact needs them. Nature provided them to enable us to make use of their antioxidants, protein and other elements. Food like mushrooms, fish, meat, eggs, olives, nuts, oats, beans - all great sources of nutrition, and not to be avoided because they feature on the acid-forming list.

Have you seen any scientific proof of the effect of alkaline vs acidic foods on osteoporosis?

DavidCo replied to Tomato05's response:
Thank you for the response.
An online search of acid versus alkaline diet provide various sources that state an acid diet can promote bone loss.

Helpful Tips

osteo
heard to take aleve it helps? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website