Skip to content
EZorb as calcium supplement
Marlis123 posted:
Hello, I am a 62 yo woman with osteoporosis and am and have been taking Boniva for a little over two years. I got a new bone density test in November and when I got the results, all the doctor would say is that nothing has changed? I take the Citrical Slow Release 1200 mg once a day and Vit D 10,000 iu per day. My chiropractor indicated that I should take magnesium so I have added 500 mgs of that per day as well. Now to the EZorb calcium. My sister-in-law sent me the url for this calcium supplement and I found it interesting that their claim of absorption is 3-4 times higher than most of the other calcium supps on the market...is this accurate? I cannot find anything on WebMD about this particular supplement, anyone have any infor on this?

bonebabe responded:
I wouldn't sweat the type of calcium you take. Calcium is a mineral and there is no good or bad calcium. Because calcium can constipate, magnesium is often added to it to offset that side effect.

You need 1200 mg a day. Your body can only absorb about 500mg at a time, so you need to take the doses separately. Taking it at a meal time can also increase absorption.

Why are you taking 10,000 IU of Vit D a day? Unless you've been specifically instructed by your physician, you shouldn't. The recommendation is currently anywhere from 800-1000 IU, not to exceed 2000 without an RX.

As for your DXA results, no change is good. That means you're stable and responding to treatment. We tell our patients as long as they're not losing, that's a good thing.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website