Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
"Butting Heads" with My Doctor
sd2075 posted:
Back in 2008, I had a bone density test with not very good results. At the time, my doctor wanted to put me on medication, but I told him I would try to do it naturally....so I started on a regimen of calcium and vitamin D. My naturopath recommended three tablets of 1000 mgs of calcium and three tablets of 1000 i.u. of vitamin D (I live in Northern Ontario, Canada and we never see the sun in the winter). I also joined a gym and have been going to the gym religiously since 2008, working on strength training, etc., I do the step machine, treadmil, etc., and take classes for 50+ women....which includes a lot of balance exercises, and strength training. I work out 5 days a week religiously.

Anyways, I went for another bone density test and saw my doctor today and my bone density is worse than it was in 2008. Needless to say, he doesn't seem too happy that I am still resistant to medication.....I was so discouraged...I also have green smoothies almost everyday with leafy green vegetables, such as spinach, kale, collard greens, swiss chard, which are supposed to be loaded with calcium. Also, the worst part is that my cholesterol level was way higher than it was in 2008 and now, I also have this problem. At this point....I don't know what else I could do to improve things?? I really do not want to take bone building medication. I have heard of horrible side effects. As far as my cholesterol....I will have to include cholesterol lowering foods, etc. Any suggestions....???

bonebabe responded:
After a certain point, you simply cannot build bone naturally. Can't. You have to have help in getting the calcium you ingest into your bones.

While I certainly understand your reluctance to take a medication, the permanent life alter side effects of a hip or vertebral fracture greatly overshadow the less common side effects of an osteo medicine.

Your exercise regime is comendable as is your diet. Taking 3000 mg of calcium isn't necessary. You only need 1200 mg and probably aren't absorbing the additional anyway. (Spinach is NOT a good source of calcium, BTW)

As I've said before, anything you put in your mouth can have side effects. People with peanut allergies are a good example. While a whole natural food, for some it can be deadly. Same with strawberries. Prednisone is another example. It literally saves lives and enables breathing - very important. But the side effects are absolutely horrendous. So what to do? You weigh your risks against benefits. In your case, your risk of fracture against the benefits of a drug.

The biggest problem in delaying taking an osteo med is that the more your bone density decreases, the greater your chance of fracture and the longer (if ever) that bone can rebuild and strengthen. If your numbers are very low - say -3.0 and lower, your likelihood of ever getting into a "safe" range is slim to none - unless you take Forteo. If your scores are in the mid to low osteopenic range (-1.8 to -2.2) you can possibly elevate those numbers.

With that said, the T-score isn't the final answer. You have to look at your family history - did either of your parents break a hip of lose height?, your current medications and their effect on your bones, your past history of fractures, etc. Just a lot of factors to go into getting a good picture of your overall bone health.

As for the cholesterol - I myself battle that problem and it just irritates me. Eat oatmeal. I prefer mine in cookies

Good luck to you and don't wait too long to make your decision.

Victreda responded:
I was on Fosamax for about 5 years and continued to lose bone density; then went to a seminar buy Sam Gracie, author of "The Bone Building Solution" which is a very interesting book containing a couple chapters from two Toronto Doctors. As a result, I started using a product he produced - Bone Builder by Genuine Health. It can be found at Shoppers Drug Mart, Zellers or any health food store. Since I've been on it, my bone density actually increased. Taking the Bone Builder Greens really worked well but I got so that I could hardly stand the drink so am now taking the capsule or tables but they don't have the greens. They still seem to be working for me. I hated Fosamax cause it can mess up your esoghagus. Exercise is also important. I try to do a fair bit of walking.

Victreda replied to Victreda's response:
I also take Vit D with K (a little harder to find but health food stores carry it) - that is supposed to help your body absorb the calcium.

An_243288 responded:
I agree completely with bonebabe. The lower your bone densities go, the less likely you are to be able to rebound. Your excercise program is a benefit for everyone above age 40. But that is also an unreliable age guide. It is vital that a complete overall health evaluation is done, along with a thorough family history over at least two generations of your family, with special focus on the females on both sides. Several of my patients have not tolerated Fosamax well, mostly those with other gastro-esophageal issues prior to their treatment. The most helpful for many was to add orange juice(high K ) or a juice lower in citric acid along with a combination med containing calcium and vitamin D. Take the supplements with food and remain upright for at least 60 minutes. The jiuce should only be consumed at least 2 hrs before or after supplements. Also, ask about light therapy to replace your sun exposure. This did work well for a high percentage of patients I have worked with. Good luck and good health!

shagsRR3 replied to An_243288's response:
Do you mean to still take Fosamax along with the juice? I drink 1/2 to 1 cup cranberry juice daily, would that count? I live in OK & try to get some sunlight most every day but have wondered about light therapy. Do I have to have one of those over $300 units or would some other form of light work?

I took Fosamax for 10 years, got severe gastritis, now have to take Omeprazole everyday along with Reclast once a year (for last 3 years. I want to not take anything for awhile but the doctors both think I should take more meds. for my Osteoporosis. Evista was suggested & Prolia (I think). I take 1200 to 1500 calcium & extra Vit. D & try to exercise frequently.

Thanks for any advise.

mojo918 responded:
I have been taking Osteo Denx, Lactoferrin and Calcium from Nikken. I also take Vitamin D-3 50,000 IU's once a week. I had Osteopeina and my bone density has strengthened in the past 5 years. I use to take Fosomax for 6 years but my sister who is a dental assistant told me what it does to your jaw bones and I quit taking the pills. This is all I know to do that is natural and doesn't have side effects. My cousin who had Osteoporosis doesn't have it anymore with being on these products. They cost me more than I want to pay but it's worth not having to pay for medical bills from brittle bones breaking and infections in the jaw bone. Good luck.

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website