Skip to content
what is really safe?
An_243180 posted:
I was just diagnosed and have osteoporosis. am an equestrian...and see that weight bearing exercises are helpful....am i right that riding is for the most part fine on a calm horse? english riding forces you to use the balls of your feet to support your weight and you never really come down on the saddle very hard if you know how to ride....

spine levels came back at .8
neck .6
hips .5

bonebabe responded:
Riding is not considered weight bearing exercise, that is, exercise done while on your feet.

Your scores are unclear to me. Are these T-scores, -T-scores, or something else. Osteoporosis is defined as having a T-score lower than -2.5 or having had a hip or vertebral fracture.

julieg32 replied to bonebabe's response:
Those are bmd scores... here is the correct info. I am new to this so...-2.1 in spine lumbar, -2.2 hip, -27 in femoral neck (hip)..
I have been doing alot of reading and your comment about riding seems to be correct. but I know it builds muscle aorund the hip and lower spine just based on the motion required to ride Ennglish style.

Mostly I am upset that the doctors response to my results was to call me, read the results, refused to discuss it, said simply take the medicine. Really....seemed a bit callous. Am going to look into doing more walking and hiking although I already do somewhere between 3-6 hours a week anyway (it's something to do since I am not working).

bonebabe replied to julieg32's response:
You have osteoporosis. You may have other risk factors for fracture too. Some people have osteoporosis and never fracture and many many people have osteopenia and do fracture. It's all about your risks - T score is only one.

I wouldn't necessarily give up the riding, but you should know that the repetitive pounding/bouncing of your spine is detrimental to your bones if you have low bone density. You could be fracture within those tiny struts encased in the vertebrae (honeycomb bone) and not know it until the final one breaks, then you have a compression fracture. No going back after that.

It does seem that your doctor could've given you some more information or advice, but many doctors are clueless as to what to do next.

I suggest that you go to the National Osteoporosis Foundation website (www.nof.org ) and order their booklet "Boning up on Osteoporosis." I think now the cost is just $1. It's a wonderful informative booklet that we use in our rehab classes and gives you all kinds of useful information, including illustrations of correct and incorrect moves.

Thanks....I might go ahead and get a frax done next yr. The other doctor I saw suggested we see how I do after a year instead of 2 because of the amount of exercise I do normally. She wants to see what the supplements/fosamax do. The cost is nominal since we spend that much on car bills anyway (it's $265).

In regards to riding...anyone who rides properly barely brushes the seat of the saddle. You ride with the weight on the balls of your feet barely touching the saddle at a trot if you do it correctly...so your weight is in the feet. Already sent to NOF for info. Appreciate your response. Thanks so much

bonebabe replied to julieg32's response:
If I were you......I wouldn't get another scan done in a year. Reason being that bone is so slow to respond to change. You probably wouldn't get an accurate assessment of your progress until 2 years have passed - unless you're on corticosteroids. If it were still low, you could get discouraged too soon. As for the FRAX - although it's used for people with osteopenia who have not been on treatment (purpose being to determine suitability for treatment) you could do it yourself by simply googling "FRAX calculation tool"and putting in the numbers. You use the BMD of the femoral neck.

thanks...will try that....

am on asthma meds....think that's what pushed up the time frame for the osteo. they changed me off of one set and on to another about ten years ago because the one med was clearly not working and causing other issues. am wondering if that one did the most damage. guess will never find out.

maryk27350 replied to julieg32's response:
I also ride and have ridden English for many years. I have a score of -2.5 at my last test. My doctor was not concerned at all. Would rather I get the exercise and just be careful. I'm 61 and just bought a new horse about a year ago. I go to the chiropractor about once a month and he even confirms that riding is a great strengthening exercise.

julieg32 replied to maryk27350's response:
thank you so much...appreciate it.....i am at a 2.7 in the hips so was a little worried...but know that when i ride properly....you are working the muscles around the hips and lower back. have never been to a chiro....but don't really have any pain...it's weird to have a diagnosis and nothing that bothers me at the moment. just normal minor back pain once in a blue moon when i overdo it. am in chester county so it's been nice and lots of time to ride.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website