Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Any link between Forteo and Kidney Stones?
daisybuddy posted:
I started taking Forteo injections about 3 weeks ago and had experienced no side effects.

This past Monday, I was rushed to ER with what ER physicians think was a kidney stone that I passed. It was quite literally gut-wrenching.

I noticed the package inserts for Forteo mention that you should tell your doctor if you have or have had kidney stones. I told the rheumatologist who prescribed the Forteo, and she is saying that the company advises caution for awhile if you have had a kidney stone episode. Then I could restart maybe in a week. Basically it's up to me.
She had recommended Forteo because my T-score is so low (-3. and because it is the only drug that actually builds bone.

But I don't have a really good feeling about taking Forteo anymore.
I had no prior history of kidney stones, but could a stone form so quickly after starting Forteo? That is an experience I do not care to repeat ever.

It could just be mere coincidence. I am 63 and know that I do not consume enough liquid/ water. I also followed up with a urologist who just recommended the usual 8-10+ glasses of water a day to keep the kidneys flushed out. He wasn't really familiar with Forteo.

Has anyone heard of an association between Forteo and kidney stones? Would you resume taking the Forteo injections?

I have tried Fosamax before, but it caused stomach problems.
I feel like I should take something because my T scores are so very bad.
I welcome any comments.

Thanks!

sdbirder responded:
I was put on Forteo due to T-score of -3.3 in my spine, after being on Fosamax for 5 years. I also have a "staghorn" kidney stone, which did NOT get any worse during the course of treatment (18 months) on Forteo. My decision was clear after repeated fractures from low-impact falls, I had to try the "big gun" to help my bone mass. The good news is that my T-score was improved to -3.0 two years after I started treatment with Forteo. You need to make a decision after getting the full story on the drug and other options like I did.

An_243364 responded:
I have severe osteoporosis (T score -4.2). I am taking Forteo and I am also worried about kidney stones. Are you taking calcium supplements, and if yes how much and which type? Calcium citrate, the least common form, may be best. I would like chewable wafers with 300mg Ca citrate and 150 mg Mg citrate each which I would take 3 times a day, but I haven't found this kind of supplement yet. You may also want to have your 24h urine calcium tested which should be done a few months after starting on Forteo anyway, to check whether Forteo is increasing it which would be a warning sign for increased kidney stone risk.

daisybuddy replied to An_243364's response:
Thanks for your reply. I am taking Citracal D3 which is Calcium citrate, 600 mg twice a day. I also take 1000 units of Vitamin D daily.

My rheumatologist said the company (Lily I guess) recommends that people with kidney stones use caution around the time of a kidney stone. Maybe stop taking it for a week. Then resume. This doesn't give me a really good feeling, so I'm still trying to decide what to do.

I'm going to ask my OB/GYN her opinion. I'll just get several opinions and then decide whether to continue the FOrteo.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website