Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ho did I get these bones?
Gerda24 posted:
I am a 57 year old female, 130 lb, seemingly healthy. Last summer, less than a year after my last period, I was diagnosed with severe osteoporosis: T scores of -4.2 (vertebra), -3.5 (hip), -3.2 (femur). All my life I have consumed dairy products daily, I did horseback riding as a teenager, tennis in college, and all my life until 9 years ago walked 5+ miles daily; no history of osteoporosis in my family either. How did I get these bones? I am excreting about 350mg Ca/24h in urine and my blood Vit D level is 25, 28 after taking about 2000U Vit D/day for 4 months. I am now taking Forteo, but I'm worried that the outcome may be disappointing if the cause of the problem is not corrected. Any suggestions?

bonebabe responded:
You may have never built up your peak bone mass potential. If you don't have much to start with, when you do lose, it can be drastic.

It could also be the estrogen factor. During the 5 years leading up to and through menopause, you can lose 20% of your bone mass. Especially bad if you never amassed your full bone mass.

It may be that all your life your Vit D levels were low (even a 28 is considered the low side of normal), not getting the calcium you were consuming to the bones. We're finding out more and more about Vit D every day.

If any of your relatives broke a hip by falling or became stooped over or lost more than 1.5" of height, even without a diagnosis of osteoporosis, that is considered a risk for you.

If you've not had some endocrine tests, I'd check into that. It could be your parathyroid.

At any rate, the Forteo is excellent. Just make sure you're consuming 1200 mg of calcium each day. 500-600 mg at a time will only be absorbed by the body.

Also, if you're still playing tennis, I'd recommend stopping. It's way too risky for someone with your numbers.

Good luck to you in your search for answers.

Tomato05 responded:
You mention walking until 9 years ago - are you still doing exercise? I think it is essential for all of us fighting this disease.

Gerda24 replied to Tomato05's response:
I agree, exercise is important. After moving to another state I now have to drive to work instead of walking as before. My job is sedentary and I have a hard time to get more than 2500 steps done per day (I have a step counter). I now use a treadmill and try to have more than 5000 steps per day, but I don't get to the desired 10,000 steps which would require about 1 1/2h of walking. I'd like to have a DVD with strength training exercises for women in their 50s with severe osteoporosis - haven't found it yet. May be we should suggest it to Jane Fonda (although she is older and had some joint replacements).

Gerda24 replied to bonebabe's response:
Thank you for your answer.

None of my relatives (3 sisters, parents, grant-parents, aunts or uncles) had broken bones or a stooped pasture. I don't think there is a genetic predisposition. My doctor suggested that I may never have had good bones but who knows, no way to test it now. I did ask my physician 3 years ago for a bone scan (my joints were hurting and overall I felt miserable). She didn't allow it since I was pre-menopausal. I'm now very sorry for the lost time.

I haven't played tennis in a while and already thought about donating my rackets to Good Will. It's a miserable situation: one the one hand people with osteoporosis should do exercise, on the other hand they shouldn't since they may break their bones.

I am now taking 4000 U Vit D in the hope to get my blood value above 30, but haven't had a test done yet. The low blood value is surprising, since I always try to be 15-30 minutes outdoors per day and these determinations were done in summer - I wonder what the Vit D level is now!

My parathyroid hormone level and blood calcium level were normal.

I am taking about 100mg Mg and 2x200 mg Ca supplement per day, figuring that I get >300 from milk and >300 from cheese and some from joghurt and other food. I probably will increase my supplemental Ca intake but I'm worried about kidney stones since I already have calciuria. I wonder whether the abnormally high excretion of Ca in the urine is the cause of my osteoporosis, i.e. a kidney problem?

mamadork replied to Gerda24's response:
Vitamin D is in sunshine;dark green vegis; most food is reinforced with D and of course yours and mine's most favorite the little green prescription Vitamin D pill. Value is rated for Vitamin D for healthy 30-100 or average. Over 100 you can get too much calcium in your blood. Lower than 30 not good and honey, low 5 is critical to bone health. I cant digest vitamin D myself it seems, you can read my post I just made of my stuggle this last year. Osteo is reoccuring in my family as well as multiple chronic systemic illness's. I need to get my blood checked this week as well. average suggest dosage per day i think is 1500 units. I've tried 2000 daily on top of food and sunshine dosage and I keep going down. It is important you take your vitamin D with food for better results. Good Luck and try 3000 units per day and see if that helps you get to level 30-60 and keeps you there.

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

osteo
heard to take aleve it helps? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website