Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
49 with a BMD of 2.8
ShanghaiSiri posted:
I was just diagnosed as having severe osteoporosis of the spine. I am an other wise healthy, active woman, who is not quite 50. My doctor told me that my blood levels are all good, and my weight is healthy. I work out several times a week, take supplements and eat healthy. So if I do all these things, why is my spine so close to collapsing that I am told it could break just by sitting or moving wrong?

Does anyone have recommendations as to doctors or clinics that might be able to help me determine 1. Why this is happening? 2. How to reverse the bone loss?

I am not ready to give up and become in-active because of this. I need to take charge.
Thank you!

bonebabe responded:
Have you gone through menopause? For women, this is the big determining factor with bone health.

If you have not, there is no formal diagnosis. That doesn't mean you don't have low bone density, just no diagnosis is given premenopausal women. Also you can expect what bone you do have now to decrease as you go through menopause and your body stops producing estrogen.

I'm assuming your T-score is a -2.8 and not a 2.8? Also, what bone(s) have you broken? Severe osteoporosis is not used in clinical diagnoses anymore, but at one time was determined by a score of -2.5 or lower combined with the presence of a non traumatic fracture. So, if you're postmenopausal and have not fractured a bone, you have osteoporosis.

There are a lot of reasons why this could be happening.

1. You might not have ever built up your peak bone mass and when you went/go through menopause, it decreases rapidly

2. It could be genetic

3. You could have a calcium absorption problem

4. You could be Vitamin D deficient

5. You could have a problem with your parathyroid

That's a start. I'd make an appt with an endocrinologist to have some tests run to see if it's a hormonal problem.

I'd also go to the National Osteoporosis Foundation website (www.nof.org ) and get their booklet "Boning Up on Osteoporosis" for a ton of good information. We use it in our osteo rehab classes as a teaching tool.

If you do have osteoporosis and you are through menopause, I'd suggest two things. One, you ask for a referral for Physical Therapy for postural exercises and ADL's (Activities of Daily Living). Then, I'd talk to the doctor about medications. At your age and this stage of bone loss, you'll need an RX to get you back on track. Nothing natural will do it and you're way too young to suffer a life changing fracture.

ShanghaiSiri replied to bonebabe's response:
I went thru menopause at the age of 47. My blood work shows that vitamin D, Calcium and Magnesium are at a good level, and no major problems with the thyroid.

I have had no fractures (other than my baby toes) which we are aware of. Though the spine has not been check for compression fractures. (No severe pain, so I what I don't know won't hurt me).

I was considering contact an endocrinologist, so thank you. Do you know where I can look to find one who has knowledge of Osteoporosis? Also, am considering going to the Cleveland Clinic or John Hopkins (as they both have doctors that specialize in Osteoporosis. Do you have any recommendations.

bonebabe replied to ShanghaiSiri's response:
Go to the ISCD website (www.iscd.org ) and look on the left under "Patient Information" then go to "find ISCD certified individuals." That should give you a place to start.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website