Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Osteoporosis and Pulsed Magnetic Cellular Exercise and/or Tensegrity Vibration
jannazz posted:
I have osteoporosis, am 58, and have taken Evista for 2 years. (I took Actonel for 4 years before that and my bone density test was worse.) I have weight trained 2x /wk for 4 years(the first 2 years w/a personal trainer); and this past year, I walk 2-4 miles 4x/wk, and do core strengthening & balancing exercises 1-2 x/wk. My doctor has told me walking, vs. running, is excellent due the heel striking the pavement being great for the bones. I am also seeing a chiropractor, who offers Pulsed Magnetic Cellular Exercise, and would like to do an extended session. I have looked online for information regarding this pulsed electromagnetic therapy. My understanding is Pulsed electromagnetic field stimulation (from one online article's study) increased the bone density of the area treated for 3 months, and 9 months after stopping the therapy the same area decreased significantly. My understanding of this would mean this therapy is only beneficial if one does it every day for the rest of their life, not practical for the average person, correct? I also found information on tensegrity vibration (using a port-a-vibe or osci-stadium) (www.tensegrityvibration.com). This research states vibration rebuilds bone, and develops new bone, along with exercise and supplements, better than drugs. I have no intention to stop taking Evista, but do wonder about the effectiveness of using vibration as well. Wouldn't it be like the heal strike of walking? Are any of these indeed beneficial to osteoporosis, and if so must they be lifelong to not reverse the effects? Also, could they be detrimental? I am trying to find, and do, everything I can now while I am able to reverse, or halt my osteoporosis. Thank you so much!

bonebabe responded:
Bone is living tissue and continues to grow during your lifetime. Anything that causes muscles to pull against bone helps bone growth. A vibration, walking, etc. The problem is that when we age the rate of bone cell reabsorption (the absorption of bone cells into the body from the bone) remains the same, while the production of new cells declines. During our peak bone forming years, these two actions are perfectly balanced in a normal healthy body. When that balance is affected, you lose bone. The osteo drugs work by slowing down that reabsorption process so that the bone builders have a chance to keep up.That's why exercise/stimulation is so important in the building of bones. And it must be done on a regular basis, otherwise the muscles become weak and can't pull against the bone thereby causing bone loss and general loss of strength. This is kind of rambling, but I hope it answers your question.

jannazz replied to bonebabe's response:
Yes, it does clarify the constant need for exercise/stimulation, enough that I finally get it - exercise will be a lifelong change and commitment for me. Thank you for the explanation. I am committed to do what I can regarding my osteoporosis - so will keep exercising; but I will have to give more thought to adding vibration stimulation. Thanks!

megmo84 replied to bonebabe's response:
I've read that elliptical exercises and stair machines don't compare to walking in terms of bone health. True?

bonebabe replied to megmo84's response:
Anything done on your feet that doesn't twist or bend the spine is good for the bones. Stairs and elliptical are fine.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website