Skip to content
Severe Osteoporosis...
periwinkle52 posted:
Good morning, I also have Severe Osteoporosis. Diagnosed @ age 35yrs., when my hip broke, due to an underlying illness, I was not aware of. Anyway, I was on Foeteo, for the 2yr. stint. Unfortunately, it did not improve my bone density, but, I keep on the "follow up med" & I find working out in the swimming pool, wonderful! With Water Weights & the Low Impact action, in the water, you don't have the beating of your bones, on pavement. I've been told, by my Dr., to do the lowest impact exercises possible, so I also started Tai Chi. Hopefully, I can @ least maintain, with-out loss, where I am at now. I am on Steroids, which go against me also. I wish everyone with this illness, the best of luck, with it, & whichever program works for you! periwinkle

mamadork responded:
Seems your doing the right thing. The Tai Chi will help quite a bit. I'd probably add treadmill for walking if your able because that helps bone strength. I was told Water is good if you have issues with bad pain or you can't walk but doesnt help with bone strengthing. My mother has multiple illness's which of course took 30 years to diagnose so her bones could be xray'd thru. She got a lecture by her doctor at 9pm at night when he reviewed her lower back xrays about driving the farm tractor. told her she could break her back by riding it. Needless to say she has multiple joint replacement and has had her lower back reinforced thru surgery.She tried all the medication for getting her bone density but one of the illness's she has causes her not to be able to absorb it. I'm on osteo watch myself and have in last ten years developed ongoing chronic illness's. Good Luck and my heart goes out to you.

periwinkle52 replied to mamadork's response:
My prayers are with you, also. I know exactly what you're Mama has been thru! My back, was broken in 3 places, only discovered, AFTER, many years of complaining to my "Pain Management Dr." of severe pain through-out my entire back! I think he tried everything, BUT, an MRI, to totally check everything in my back! My knee's are the same way. One down, one to go! Unfortunately, I have to take the Steroids everyday, to keep me alive! They, on their own, are doing so much damage, to my body, it's pitiful, but, what can I do?? I wish you both the most life can offer you, and I do walk every day, even though there are days, I barely make it back home! But, I've been told, "If you sit down, and give up, so will my body!" So, it's off I go! Good-luck, and have a great day! periwinkle

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website