Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Healthcare Company - taking away medicine already!
An_243180 posted:
has anyone recently had this happen. I was just diagnosed. dr. gave me fosamax d because of my results (sadly am on the same amount as a friend of mine who has had it for years, not the lower amount). My healthcare company just sent a letter after sending the initial 3 months of meds, that they WILL NOT pay for fosamax d unless my doc gets a preapproval. drs office says they are trying to force me onto boniva or another drug....something is wrong with this....

mommafox2011 responded:
I had a similiar problem a few years ago only with FORTEO and my insurance company wouldn't pay for it because in "their opinion" I was too young, to have osteoporosis as severe as my doctor said. The owner of the company that I work for, actually paid for my prescription out of his own pocket, for one year. I've been out of work for 10 months because of a spine injury and I found out after I paid for my medical records, that my osteo is back. My doctor didn't tell me. Anyway, there is suppose to be government programs to help with prescription costs. It won't hurt to try. Good luck.

An_243180 replied to mommafox2011's response:
It sounded more like they just didn't want me to take that particular drug....maybe it's more expensive? don't know. they want me to take a generic version or switch to boniva...the doctor is going to speak with them but can't until April when they said it's okay to call them for the preapproval. Just thought it was ridiculous that they didn't pick up the phone and call him right away when they noticed what was prescribed rather than wait until after I started taking it. If they deny it, I have an apt with an endocrinologist in May anyhow....he's going over the same info. Did the forteo work for you at all? Isn't that the 1x a year medicine? I am worried about the fosamax as it is the same medicine my grandmom took and she broke her hips anyway.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website