Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
T4 Compression Fracture
An_244078 posted:
In 2010 I was diagnosed with a compression fracture in my t4 vertebrae. I have since suffered from episodes of extreme pain in my back and ribs from what I suspect is nerve pain. this I understand to be relatively normal for back injuries (maybe my mum was right when she said mosh pits were a bad idea). Although I have just noticed that the vertebrae I injured is quite severely out of line compared with the rest of my spine. It is just the one vertebrae the rest seem to Be quite straight. My question is, will this hurt (badly - I'm getting used to pain...) if I was to visit a chiropractor, with possible nerve damage in the area, and what I suspect will be a case of not being able to relax the muscles during the appointment. Also, is a chiropractor a good idea or should I be more concerned with damage this could be doing to my spinal cord.

And yes I am aware that I could take muscle relaxants for the chiropractic appointment, however, unfortunately at the same time I injured my back I also discovered I am allergic to them, most pain killers and treatments (eg; steroids) for allergic reactions. As you can imagine I had a fun few months when I fractured it!

NATIONAL OSTEOPOROSIS FOUNDATION
Karen Kemmis, PT, DPT, MS responded:
Chiropractic adjustments can place forceful stresses through the bone. However, many chiropractors are aware of this and would not perform adjustments on a person with osteoporosis. It is important to let them know that you have low bone density, have a vertebral compression fracture, and to ask if they are aware of the precautions. Many chiropractors use a tool which applies lower levels of pressure than a manual adjustment. This would allow safe adjustments for many people with low bone density. Chiropractors also use modalities (such as heat and electrical stimulation) that would relax your muscles.

SR_Pert replied to Karen Kemmis, PT, DPT, MS's response:
So you're saying a chiropractic visit CAN be OK, if they are aware of your problem and use this special tool? What is the tool called? Is it the Activator? And if ones score is -5, does that still hold true?
Thanks.

WyoDeb replied to SR_Pert's response:
I am a -4.76. My chiro is trained in osteo manipulation. I always undergo heat therapy and roller massage prior to my manipulations. He does have to treat me differently than other patients, but can manipulate the spine w/o damage. Ask the chiro if he/she has experience with osteo patients. Also, after my manipulations, my chiro follows up with an ultrasound treatment and a machine with electronic minishockers. Don't know the medical term for the procedure, but seems to lock your muscles in place to hold the prior manipulation so I don't need to go as frequently. In other words, just make sure your doctor has the proper training before you allow him/her to adjust your spine.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website