Skip to content
Prolia or Evista
Olead116 posted:
Hi, I am 50 years old and have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis. My Dr. told me I need to go on either Evista, Atelvia or Prolia. I have ruled out Atelvia but can't decide whether to go on Evista or Prolia. Does anybody have any info. on these two meds. side effects. etc. Thanks.

bonebabe responded:
Two different types of drugs. Our medical director, who is an osteoporosis expert, says Prolia shouldn't be used unless all other meds have been tried first.

If you're just 50 and either peri or post menopausal, I'd go with the Evista or Reclast. Depends on your scores and fracture risks and whether you're on hormone therapy.

Whatever you decide, you need to be sure you're getting in 1200 mg of calcium each day (taken in 600 mg increments) or any med you take won't work effectively.

Olead116 responded:
I'm post menopasal, have hashimotos, hypothyroid and just started taking Synthroid. I split a 75 mcg tablet in half. My t-scores are lumbar spine -2.6, total left hip -0.3, left femoral neck -0.3. There was a 3.9% decrease in bone density within lumbar spine since last test 12/28/10 when I had ostepinia. I was leaning toward Prolia but now have to rethink everything. I'm concerned about side effects of drugs too. Thanks for all your input it' very much appreciated.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website