Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Osteoporosis and Dental Problems
nochick posted:
I was not advised to have dental work before I started taking Prolia. I had my first shot in December 2011. I just recently had a filling done, but now I need to have a root canal. I have stressed to my dentist that I am on osteo drugs. He says it is okay to have the root canal. What is your opinion.

bonebabe responded:
It's OK. Prolia is not a bisphosphanate and even if it were, the chances of you having a serious problem are extremely slim. Taking it a step further, if you did beat the odds and have some problem, the area affected will heal, it would just take longer. And...because the bisphophanate drugs stay in your system for 10 years, to avoid dental work for that length of time simply out of fear, would be unwise. So have your dental work and don't worry.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website