Skip to content
What does this mean??
sheshort posted:
I had a Bone Scan done on 3/21/12 and my Doctors nurse just called aand said I have Osteoporis and my Doctor wants me on Actonel or Fossmax ASAP?? I had a compression fracture of my spine in 1988 from a horseback riding accident and I'm 4ft 81/2 tall 54 yrs. My question is the Nurse said my T-Score was -2.7 was does that mean?? Plain terms please. I can"t figure out the scoreing thing. not good at math.

Thanks

bonebabe responded:
Osteoporosis is defined as having a T-score of -2.5 or lower. Your score of -2.7 falls within that range. Your T-score is only one of several risks that factor into your risk of fracturing and that's what bone density testing is all about. If you're not on hormones, if you have a family history of osteoporosis or broken hips, if you're on certain medications like steroids or if you've already sustained a non-traumatic fracture after the age of 40 - all these things are figured into your risk of fracturing. You're too young to face the lifelong changes a hip or compression fracture can make.

I'd go online to the National Osteoporosis Foundation website (www.nof.org ) and order their booklet "Boning up on Osteoporosis." It costs $1 and is excellent. We use it as a teaching tool in our rehab classes.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
56 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website