Skip to content
Osteoporosis situation
An_245716 posted:
I'm a healthy 58-year old white female with osteoporosis, dexa scan -3 hip, -4 spine. have been on actonel and then fosomax for 4 years, no improvement at all. The specialist wanted me to try forteo, but it's exorbitantly expensive and not covered by my insurance. Now she suggests reclast infusion. Isn't this the same basic drug as fosomax, etc.? I have been exercising and walking since my 20's, all my blood work is normal, been on calcium and D since my 40's. How severe are these dexa numbers at my age? My mother fell and died after a hip fracture at 80. I'm terrified I will develop a Dowager's Hump. Are there any studies that would help me understand the severity of my condition? Where can I look for statistics? What would you suggest trying next? I am open to any alternative medicine ideas at this point.

Take the Poll

osteoporosis alternative treatments?
  • other treatments?
  • alternatives?
View Poll Results
An_245857 responded:
As you can see from my earlier posts, Forteo is the way to go. I would appeal the decision of your insurance carrier and get the doctor to help you fight it. I gained bone being on Forteo, which will be less expensive than a fracture from falling. I would also write the State Insurance Commissioner and get help from Federal Agencies like CDC, HHS, and other agencies for supporting documentation on how bad your osteoporosis is and you need the Forteo and there is no other drug out there that works like Forteo or I would have taken it. Good luck. Hope this gives you something to look forward to? A few letters might just be the right prescription for you!!!

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
61 of 72 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website