Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fractured ankle
Beadlady65 posted:
On May 23, 2012 I fell down some concrete steps after work. This was almost two weeks ago. There was immediate pain and bruising, but as the leg and foot was mainly numb it was bearable. Next day i stayed home and slept. Following day, Friday, went into work. I have a standard car, and this is my left foot. By now 85% of my foot and calf is deep purple bruising and it is very swolen, and like I said, 85% numb. There is some aching if i leave the foot down or step on it wrong. I try to find out how much xrays and dr visit will cost but cant get a straight answer- from the insurance co or the dr's office. So I am determined not to go. After all, I cant feel any bones moving wrong. Probably would have stayed this course except one thing... As the numbness started wearing off the pain increased... Expexted. Even the stabbing, periodic pain was not too unexpected... Then the Tuesday morning, in the wee hours (now six days after injury) I woke to excruciating pain. What surprised me, that along with the stabbing pain, there was SEVERE burning pain, as if someone had scrubbed the skin off of the ENTIRE surface of my foot and poured on hot pepper juice. The waves lasted for about 10 minutes each. This pain was not bearable. I tried running under tepid to cool water, even sunburn spray. The SKIN of my foot hurt. I did not expect this and it made no sense. I went to the ER. Er doc took xrays and found an undisplaced fracture of the 5th metatarsal. The pain, however, he suspected was due to a bruised/ traumatized nerve. That didnt surprise me. Still quite nieve, i believed that of course a nerve would heal like any other part of me. Can't seem to find much on this condition... What I have found has not been promising... The top of my foot still feels like I have a severe sunburn on it and my leg still has an area of 3-4 in diameter that is still numb. Has anyone else experienced these skin burn feelings, and have they went away? What type of treatment have you tried? Thanks - Beadlady65

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Beadlady -

I am so sorry to hear about your injury. Hopefully you have followed up with treatment and you are on the mend.

You didn't mention if you have osteoporosis. If not, you may want to repost your questions with our Fitness & Exercise Community for more response for this type of injury.

Hope you are feeling better,
Elizabeth

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website