Skip to content
When I find out, about my Osteoporosis....
periwinkle52 posted:
I had gone to my M.D., for another issue. He ran some tests, one of them showing a high Calcium count. Most people would think this is good, but the calcium, was in my blood, not my bones! I was then sent for a Bone Density, which showed I had Severe Osteoporosis! My Dr. suggested I contact my Mother for any family history of this, as it was rare. It did explain all my Kidney Stones, as too much calcium in the blood. causes Kidney Stones. Surprisingly, my Mother said YES, that her family had a rare, inherited, genetic disorder! She actually, had, had the same problem some 30yrs., before! I guess, since I lived 750 miles away for many years, just never told me! That one diagnosis has changed my life, as it is a disease that takes over your Endocrine System! My, Parathyroids, which produce our Calcium, all had tumors & had to be removed! Leaving me on meds the rest of my life. Along with my Pituitary, Adrenal Glands, & Pancreas, all causing many problems in my body! Due to the Osteoporosis, I 've experienced a broken hip @ age 35yrs, then my back, broken in 3 places, & a new knee! Hence, that one little test, has changed my life forever, yet, also saved my life! periwinkle

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi periwinkle -

Thanks for sharing your story with us. As you said, one little test can change your life.

This is a good example of practicing thorough medicine, looking at all symptoms and performing necessary tests.

Have the doctors been able to tell you what the future holds and what you can do to prevent more fractures?

Elizabeth

periwinkle52 replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Good morning! Yes, after finding a very good Endocrologist, he evaluated my illness & started me on Forteo, for 2 yrs., & now on Atelvia. I also do a-lot of Low Impact exercising in my swimming pool, with the foam water weights. I have to do injections of Norditropin, a Growth Hormone, for my Pituitary, and on a rather high dose of Prevacid, for my stomach, as I have a high Gastrin Count, from tiny Adenoma's forming in my stomach. I actually have cousins, whom have had parts of their stomachs removed, from this illness, along with several having surgery to remove Tumors on their Pituitary's! Apparently, this illness has been in my Mother's side of my family for a long time. Unfortunately, long before Dr.'s in Pittsburgh, Pa., did a study on my family, many family member's passed on, not even knowing what had caused their suffering, let alone, there are now, treatments for it! Knowing all of this, makes me aware, that donating $$, to Medical Research Programs is of utmost importance! How else, do the researcher's & Dr.'s, learn how to treat all of the many diseases out there?? So far,so good, on my bones. I seem to be holding on, rather than losing! Thank you so much for asking, periwinkle

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website