Skip to content
Moderate Drinking May Help Older Women's Bones
Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff posted:
A new study suggests drinking one to two drinks per day along with a balanced diet and physical activity may benefit women's bone health.

Moderate Drinking May Help Older Women's Bones

This small study measured the rate of bone removal and replacement when drinking 1 to 2 alcohol drinks and abstaining from alcohol. The researchers also cautioned that excessive drinking is bad for your bones.

Share your thoughts about this. Would you drink a couple drinks a day to reduce bone loss?

Elizabeth

bonebabe responded:
I think the biggest issue with this study for us in the osteoporosis center where I work, is the risk of falling for people who already may have some balance issues. When you have older women, balance concerns that come with aging, fragile bones and then add alcohol to the mix, there is an increased risk of falls causing fractures. Not sure if the benefit of any alcohol intake on the bones outweighs the potential for a fall. Too many variables here, I think.

Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff replied to bonebabe's response:
Hi bonebabe,

This is definitely something to think about. I would be interested to see if this is considered in a follow-up to the study.

Elizabeth

Tomato05 replied to bonebabe's response:
I agree. Plus, there is the risk that women may displace other good nutritional sources to compensate for the calorie intake of the alcoholic drinks.

For example, 2 glasses of wine have 180 cal or so, which would then have to be eliminated from your diet if you want to maintain your weight. Those calories could replace a glass of skim milk (86 cal), a cup of broccoli (50 cal) and 1 oz of tinned tuna (33 cal)!

bonebabe replied to Elizabeth_WebMD_Staff's response:
Hi Elizabeth

I wouldn't count on a follow up to the study. Haven't you noticed that these seemingly out of nowhere studies and flashy headlines rarely rarely have any kind of follow up? They just make a splash, get everybody in a tizzy and fade away.

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
56 of 67 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website