Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Choosing The Right Doctor
Janemarie91 posted:
Hello Everyone,

I have been going to my primary care doctor and receiving care for the Osteoporosis for the past 5 years. Some of the treatments have been Forteo, Evista, Boniva, and Reclast. I had a fracture of the T 12 in November of 2009 and received Kyphoplasty. I had a fusion surgery in 2010 on lower spine and another fusion of my neck in July of 2010. I have gone from 5'4 to 5'3. Have a very noticeable stomach pouch, and weigh 147. I'm 61 years young. All the area between just below my breasts to below my naval have been compressed together. I also have a compression fracture at T 10. What I would like to know is." I have recently gotten an appointment at the Osteoporosis center with an Endocrinologist doctor. I've also been told that she thinks "out of the box". How is this kind of doctor going to help me compared to my primary doctor or my GYN doctor? I feel very alone in this even though I'm married and have my daughter living with us, and both have been very supportive.

bonebabe responded:
Hmmmm.... Could be that she's going to do some intensive testing to determine a reason for your osteoporosis that may make your osteoporosis secondary to something else. It won't really help you at this point since fractures can't be reversed, but could possibly deter any future fractures.

Since you've already had a course of Forteo which is considered the big guns of treatment, I don't know what she could prescribe as far as out of the box treatment could be. There's not anything "natural" or dietary at this point for you that would improve your bone density. What you're looking at is to prevent fractures, not necessarily have a higher score.

I'm so sorry you've had all these fractures and pain. If you haven't already had any physical therapy, I'd ask the doctor about it - especially for ADL's (Activities of Daily Living) and postural exercises. A balance assessment would be in order too.

Please let us know what the endo suggests for you.

Janemarie91 replied to bonebabe's response:
Thank you Bonebabe

SpottyGirl responded:
Hi, Janemarie91,

Sorry you're having such a difficult time right now. I know how you feel about being lost about what to do or how to get help.

I have osteoporosis in my hip, although it's not severe. My PCP has been trying to get me on drugs for years but I don't want to go that route and I really don't think I need to. I've recently started seeing a medical nutritionist named Susan E. Brown, who focuses on diet and exercise to halt/reverse osteoporosis and only resorts to meds as a last resort. She's had a lot of success. You might be interested in her book "Better Bones, Better Body" or her web site, betterbones.com. Also, R. Keith McCormick, a chiropractor who also specializes in bone health has had a lot of success with his patients, too. He has a book called "The Whole-Body Approach to Osteoporosis". While both of these practitioners feel medications may be warranted in some cases, they feel it's important to determine whether there are secondary causes (like bonebabe suggested) that the medications aren't treating. So maybe your endocrinologist uses the same approach which in my opinion might really help you out.

Also, there was a really promising study of how 12 specific yoga poses helped people with osteoporosis dramatically build bone density. If you're interested, you can find it on sciatica.org. Obviously, you'd have to consult your doctor about whether you could do these poses since you're spine is weak but they do have modified versions of each exercise that might work for you.

Good luck!

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
16 of 25 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website