Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Forteo any helpful hints?
plc111111 posted:
Hello to all
My doctor just prescribed this medication to me, actenol and doing it on my own is not working, scores have drop in the spinal area. I am a very active person and only 58. My doctor told me that this medicine is the only one to help rebuild what I have lost, and the side effects are mild compare to fractures in the spine. My blood tests came back good. And we are going to try it.. I hope I can get pass the needle part first, then a person told me I could be dizzy for up to 4 hours after the injection? She told also to do it at night because of that. Is this accurate? Am I getting nervous for nothing? I ask my doctor she told me not to worry everyone has different responses. Anxious to hear from any users
Paula

feelitlove80 responded:
please dont share your personal information too much. Always trust your husband and relatives, even not your friends.

WalkAbout56 responded:
Paula, I too have osteoporsis and am 56 yrs old. I tried Actonel two years and had terrible side effects after the first dose. I was advised to go to the emergency room with severe body aches and chest pains and stomach upset. I then was trying to get my calcium through diet but was unsuccessful. My bones have gotten much worse and have an appt this week with endocrinologist to see what if anything I can take to reverse the bone loss. All these drugs are in the same family so I am sure I would have side effects from them all. Hopefully I will find out more this week.

1Alfie responded:
Hi Paula,

I have been on Forteo for about a year. When I started taking it I became alergic to it. It affected my breathing. So I started taking it bi-daily and I have tolerated it well since then. If you use 31 guage, 5mm needles, I doubt if you will ever feel one of them inserted. I inject mine around my navel. I have never felt any side effects from the medicine or pain from the needle. Good lluck.

1Alfie replied to WalkAbout56's response:
Hi Walkabout56, Forteo is an option for osteoporosis. Good luck.

WalkAbout56 replied to 1Alfie's response:
1Alfie, Thank you for the info. Is this drug working for your osteoporosis?

plc111111 replied to 1Alfie's response:
Thank you for the info, I start tomorrow. I am hoping for a good out come.

suse1375 responded:
Paula -

I have been taking Forteo for 2 months now. I was also very nervous but was at the point where I had no other options. I have had no dizziness. I have gotten used to doing the injections. Have the home health nurse come teach you. One tip is to allow the alcohol to dry before injecting. Sometimes it burns a little and sometimes no problem at all. Haven't figured that out. But I have had no problems once I got past injecting myself. Good luck!!

Suse

plc111111 replied to suse1375's response:
Thanks Suse for your input, I started yesterday,so far so good. You are right about waiting for the alchol to dry. The only problem so far is a headache,but that could be me too.I am hopingfor the best, unknow is really the scary part of all this.

Helpful Tips

osteo
heard to take aleve it helps? More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website