Skip to content
Osteoporosis treatment
An_248993 posted:
Just found out that my bone density scores are between -2.5 and -3 with a bone loss of about 7% in the last three years. I do not tolerate any medications well and am concerned about taking osteo meds. I take Vitamin D 2000mg/day and am starting to do weight bearing exercises more consistently. I am currently taking Calcium carbonate (I understand now that this type of calcium is basically worthless and you would have to take enormous amounts to get any benefit). What type of calcium should I be taking. Algaecal has been suggested by friends...?

bonebabe responded:
Calcium is a mineral and there is no good or bad. Calcium carbonate is fine to take. Algaecal isn't any better than any other calcium. All depends on what your body tolerates. Just read your labels carefully to get the dosage right. Your body absorbs about 500-600 mg at a time so spread it out over the day. Take with meals for best absorption. You need 1200mg per day.

As for meds - you're at a level where calcium, Vit D and exercise alone aren't going to improve your bone density to a normal or near normal area. Only the meds will do that. Also if you have any other risk for fractures,other than the T-score, you definitely will want to reduce those. Other risks include having had a prior fracture, having a parent who broke a hip or a family history of osteoporosis, not being on hormone therapy, taking prednisone, smoking, etc.

Talk to your doctor about a medication that could work for you because I promise you, you do not want to have a compression or hip fracture. The repercussions are lifelong.

Helpful Tips

Choosing a safe calcium supplementExpert
Calcium supplements prepared from unrefined oyster shell, bone meal or dolomite may contain lead or other toxic metals. Choose supplements ... More
Was this Helpful?
31 of 43 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website