Skip to content
Calcium
PoconoShel posted:
What is the best Calcium to take for someone age over 60 I have osteo
did fosomax, doctor did not pay attention I ended up ill. I have asked for time to adjust my Calcium, D level, with advantage of magnesium, boron, algae.
Too many myths about Calcium, not enough guidelines on taking or how to. Too many trying to sell. I would like ideas on what to take. I do not believe food prompts. What actually has best advantage in Calcium, Magnesium

Should we bypass strontium until the better one is allowed?

bonebabe responded:
Bypass strontium. It will totally alter your bone density test results at this time.

There is no best calcium. It's a mineral. You need 1200 mg a day in diet and/or supplements. Look for one with a USP symbol on the package. Calcium citrate usually takes 2 pills to equal one dose, therefor you'd need 4 pills a day if you want the full dosage from pills. Calcium carbonate is one pill. Take with meals for best absorption.

Look at the National Osteoporosis Foundation website (www.nof.org ) for a lot of reliable information about this and other questions you might have.

LynnL responded:
I had osteopena and was taking a calcium supplement.
Obviously, it was not working. Then I started taking
"easycal Bone Builder" by Platinum. It says to take
3 capsules per day, but I only take one (400 mg of
calcium) per day along with 2,000 IU of vitamin D.
I drink milk or eat yogourt almost every day. At my
last bone scan, I was told my bone density had
improved. I no longer have osteopena which is
the beginning of osteoporosis. Works for me!

bonebabe replied to LynnL's response:
Good for you! You're obviously invested in protecting your bones. Would you mind sharing what your original osteopenic T-score was? I think most people don't realize that osteopenia is a broad range that goes from nearly normal to nearly osteoporotic. If you're on the upper end, getting into the normal range is certainly possible, but...if you're on the lower end, the chances of calcium, etc. alone bringing you to normal are pretty slim.

Also for people looking for results in followup scans, it's very important to have your scan done at the same place in order to compare. The machine, the tech and the positioning are critical to getting an accurate interpretation.

Unless you're on a bone depleting medication like prednisone or chemo, tests should not be done more frequently than 2 years because bone is notoriously slow to respond to change.

lindatieger replied to bonebabe's response:
Calcium carbonate is not a good choice. As we age, our stomach acid is reduced and you need this for calcium to absorb. Therefore, citrate is much better because it absorbs better and stomach acid is not needed. Take throughout the day, especially before bedtime.

Beffigon responded:
Just want to say that if for whatever reason you cannot tolerate the regular osteop. medications, it may also help to take a HRT medication, which is a second-line treatment for osteop. I agree with bonebabe that with a low T-score, diet, calcium and exercise is probably not enough; however, some people cannot tolerate the medications and simply have to live with their osteoporosis, doing what they can do to keep themselves in good shape. Exercise for balance and coordination can also contribute to less falling and fewer fractures.

superglamglam replied to Beffigon's response:
I believe that the human body is a machine and if you treat it well it will run properly- diet , weight bearing exercise and all things healthy and natural .
It works for me .
check out site called
reversemyosteopenia.com
many tips all natural and it cant hurt to try some of them. Good luck!!

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website