Skip to content
T-score -3
Lauren12 posted:
I have osteoporosis due to bad parathyroids. I've had 2 of them removed (August 2012)
, but before that my T score was -3. My doc wants me to go on Foreto, but after reading all the side effects as well as discovering the cost (WOW) I've decided to just stay on the calcuim. Any thoughts?

mary632009 responded:
Lauren12, I am just about to finish my 26th month on Forteo. My osteoporosis is from hereditary factors, plus having a complete hysterectomy at age 22 with no hormone replacement therapy. Tried, but got phlebitis 3 times. By the time I was 40 I had 43% bone loss. I tried most of the available meds like miacalin, actonel etc.., but with no luck. I started Forteo in 2010 along with Natures Bounty 1200mg calcium, plus vit D. I also am on Vit. D3 3000 iu a day, plus a multiple vit & mineral, 1000mg of vit C, & 500mg of magneisium. This is the only thing that has heped my bones to promote new bone growth. My DEXA scan after 12 months showed great improvment. I have had only one fracture since I started this treatment , a compression fracture early on. It's been so wonderful not to fracture a rib just from sneezing! I feel like an advertisement for Forteo, but it has helped me greatly. Of course this has to be your decision, & your doctors concerning any other health problems you may have. I am allergic to milk proteins, & cnnot eat or drink any milk products which is also important for the added calcium. Give it some consideration. It has greatly helped me, & am anxiously awaiting my final vial & a new DEXA scan. Also Forteo is made from the DNA of the thyroid & pituatary. Discuss this with your doctor about your thyroid condition before you start. I too was scared of the side effects of osteosarcma, but keep in regular touch with your dentist because this usually will show as jaw necrosis. Have a good dental exam & xrays of your gums & teeth before making a final decision. Just because side effects are listed, doesn't mean you will have them. I haven't had one side effect, including a low blood pressure after taking each injection. I started them in the morning, but eventualy moved to before bedtime. Yes, it is expensive, but Eli Lilley has a patient assistance program if you cannot afford the injections. You can google Eli Lilley once you have the prescription & they will have you fill out a form showing you cannot afford the shots. Although expensive, it beats the alternative of so many broken bones. They too can add up in medical costs. Best of luck to you too...Mary632009

Lauren12 replied to mary632009's response:
Mary 632009,
Thank you for your reply! I'm going to look at getting assistance. Thanks for the info.

Helpful Tips

Comment
Good luck... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website