Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
spine fracture
ettarae posted:
I had a spine fracture five weeks ago from a fall after being off Fosamax for 3 years. I was on it for 16 years. Now my Doc wants me to take Forteo which I'm not sure whether I want to or can do. i had a hip fracture 13 years ago which was spontanious from running outside on the street every day. I have a DXA every 2 years with my most recent one August 2012. Since there was improvement in hip and spine areas, Doc. said all is well and continue doing what you are doing which is calcium with VitD and mgnesium and exercise for hours daily. I am almost 71 years old tho a young acting and looking one. I now go to PT twice a week and am told not to do yoga, pilates nor wt. training. I have an apt. with a neurosurgeon this week to get his take on the exercise. The Doc I'm consulting with is an endocrinologist who will be ordering lab work before we meet to discuss future treatment. Any ideas and or suggestions would be grately appreciated. Many thanks. By the way, I went thru menapause naturally at age 35.

bonebabe responded:
Wow. HUGE risks for future fractures. Something a young acting and looking woman does not want, for sure. I'd be suspect about the improvement in your hip and spine for two reasons: 1) past fractures and/or arthritis can make the bone appear denser than it really is, and 2) if the improvement was within the Lowest Significant Change for the DXA machine, it is considered stable, not improved. That is, it's within the margin of error.

I would certainly talk with my doctor about being on a maintenance medicine - doesn't have to be Fosamax. Also absolutely do not do yoga or pilates - way too risky for you. I'd stick with walking. You can also check out the National Osteoporosis Foundation website (www.nof.org ) for information and illustrations of correct moves and exercises.

ettarae replied to bonebabe's response:
Dear Bonebabe, Many thanks for your reply. will keep you posted after my visit with neuro doc. tomorrow. What is your take on forteo? I'm pretty sure my endocrin. doc. is going to want me to take it. She is adament about not taki ng Fosamax. Thanks again. Etta

bonebabe replied to ettarae's response:
Take the Forteo. It is a wonderful drug with very few, if any side effects. It will actually grow you new bone that will need to be strengthened with a bisphosphonate when you complete your two years of treatments. Just be sure to get in 1200 mg of calcium each day (remember body only absorbs 500-600 mg at a time, so spread it out) and 1000 IU of Vit D. Good wishes for good health to you.

Bonebabe, Thanks for the support. I am now taking calcium with magnesium and vit D calcium is 1200 spread out during the day but Vit. d is less than 1000. Should I take a separate Vit. d supplement? If so any recommendations as to brand? I had blood work and another DXA done yesterday and will see the endocrinologist to discuss treatment after she sees the reports. My computer won't allow me to access the website concerning exercises. Etta

If you take a multi vitamin, that with your calcium supplement should be enough D, unless your lab work shows that you're deficient.

As for the exercises, anything done on your feet that doesn't involve any bending or twisting of the spine is good. Walking is probably the overall best exercise. Stay away from yoga or pilates - too much risk.

Bonebabe, Thanks again. I do take a multi vit with calcium and vit D. Still awaiting reply from endocrinologist. She's probably waiting for the images from the DXA which she requested. My Vit. D has been fine the past times I had blood work done. So, I think it should be the same. I am walking 4 days a week, taking water aerobics 3 days a week and spinning classes 2-3 days a week. Not doing any wt. lifting tho the neuro. doc said it is a good way to build up the bones. I will have x-rays again in 2 weeks and see him to discuss if the fracture is healing. I still have PT and do the exercises at home daily. What are your credentials, if you don't mind sharing and where are you located? I live in MD.

You're right to not lift the weights. It's fine for someone who doesn't have any fracture risks, but not for you. The water aerobics is good exercise and easy on the bones. The spinning is also good cardio exercise, but doesn't build bone.

I work in an internationally accredited osteoporosis center in a hospital setting in NC. I've been here 17 years. We do testing, rehab and education classes, have a support group, facilitate a Bones and Balance class as well as a Yoga for Osteoporosis class at our hospital fitness center. I personally do community education, school tours and local health fairs and special projects with UNC.

I thank you for the great info that you so kindly share. Wish you were in my area. Do you know of any people and or centers similar to you and yours in the DC -Baltimore area? I am presently seeing an endocrinol. affiliated with The University of Md in Baltimore. She wants to put me on Forteo which I mentioned to you. After reading all the reviews from this web site, I am scared. I do react to meds negatively. Many thanks again. I so desperately need someone to manage my health correctly.

There are no accredited osteoporosis facilities in Maryland or DC. The closest one to you would probably be in Cleveland (www.clevelandclinic.org ) . I attaching a link for certified clinicians in Maryland. These are doctors who have taken courses and passed tests in all things osteoporosis.
https://eweb.iscd.org/eweb/DynamicPage.aspx?Site=ewebISCD&WebKey=126ff56b-4023-40e5-8adc-9bb34b0ffbf4&FromSearchControl=Yes
I hope this pasting works. You can check out the ISCD website (www.iscd.org ) and browse around it for more information. If you click on Certification at the top of the webpage, then click on Registry at the right, you can put in your state and get people who are Certified Clinicians (CCD) , certified Bone Densitometry Technician (CBDT) or certified Densitometry Technician (CDT). I'd use the resources from that site to choose someone to oversee your bone health.

As for the Forteo - put aside your fears. I can absolutely assure you that the life changing side effects of a hip or vertebral fracture are much much worse than anything you might experience with the Forteo. You have no second chance once you fracture, but if for some reason you can't tolerate the medicine, you can stop taking it.

Bonebabe, I found one CCD Doc. listed on the iscd website in my area. I think that I'll give his office a call to see if he is taking new patients and go from there. Thank you so much again. Will let you know what transpires.

Helpful Tips

Bisphosphonate use in premenopausal womenExpert
The potential benefits and risks of bisphosphonate use may be quite different in premenopausal women compared to postmenopausal women. ... More
Was this Helpful?
17 of 26 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website