Skip to content
Stay away from dairy?
Beffigon posted:
Naturopaths and various osteoporosis experts say that dairy products are not good for osteoporosis, because eating them makes one's body acidic, and in order to neutralize the acid, calcium is leeched from the bones. Does anyone know any more about this? It is sure confusing...

bonebabe responded:
No. We encourage our patients,unless lactose intolerant, to eat dairy. It's best to get your calcium (1200 mg/day) from food sources and supplement if necessary. Soft drinks and caffeine leach calcium from the bones. I wouldn't waste much time worrying about dairy.

Beffigon replied to bonebabe's response:
I agree that we should get our calcium from food sources, but my question was the advisability of taking in dairy. There is more and more research on the adverse affects of dairy on osteoporosis. There are plenty of other food sources for calcium anyone - tahini, dark green leafy vegetables, seaweed, sardines, and more.

bonebabe replied to Beffigon's response:
We have no evidence that recommends staying away from dairy unless you're lactose intolerant. There are many suppositions and theories, but no hard evidence that it is harmful.

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website