Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Vitamin D
Janemarie91 posted:
I am seeing an Endocrinologist for Osteoporosis and Adrenal Insufficiency. My last blood work showed that I still am low in Vitamin D. I was taking 1,000 iu of D3 twice a day. Now, she wants me to take 5,000 iu total per day. Is this really necessary? I take Hydrocort for the Adrenal Insufficiency, and Forteo by injection once a day. What does our body do with excess D3?
Thanks

bonebabe responded:
You don't have excess Vit D. In fact, most people are now found to be Vit D deficient which is why so many doctors prescribe so called Booster Doses. These doses are usually around 50,000 IU for a limited time. For you to have excess or toxicity, you'd have to have 50,000 IU every day for several months. The Vit D enables your body to absorb the calcium that will aid the Forteo in making new bone for you. I feel sure that once your levels reach a normal range, your doctor will have you maintain that with your 1000 - 2000 IU/day.

Helpful Tips

For of those interested you might check out
" Congenital radio-ulnar synostosis" Google it and realize we are not alone. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website