Skip to content
Prolia in a Premonpausal women?? Is it safe?
HaleyBeth posted:
Hello, I am 46 years old and have osteoperosis. I tried Atenelol and it made me very sick so I decided not to take it again. My dr. wants me to take Prolia but there is not much information for premeopausal women. Does anyone know if this is safe and why it is not recommended for premeopause? Is it becuase there just isn't enough need in that group so there aren't any studies or is it harmful? Any info would be helpful. I looked for studies as well and the cutoff age of the study is 45 so I don't qualify.
Thanks,
HaleyBeth

bonebabe responded:
Did you take Actonel or Atenelol? One is for angina and one is for osteoporosis. Do you have a heart condition and had to take Atenelol? I'm thinking you meant Actonel, but I need to be sure.

At 46, you're most likely perimenopausal - which is the 5 years or so leading into menopause. Your estrogen level drops and you can lose up to 20% of your bone density at this time. If your T-score is already into the osteoporosis range, you can be assured that it will drop even lower when you are completely menopausal. It is very important that you do something now to stop that slide.

The possible pregnancy factor is why the osteo meds aren't deemed suitable for premenopausal women. There just hasn't been enough testing on them in that respect to give a clearance. However, if there's no chance you could become pregnant, I'd suggest you take a med.

The biggest side effect in the oral bisphosphonates is the GERD. If that was your problem, you could try the Reclast annual infusion. There's also Evista, which is basically a synthetic hormone that has no effect on breast tissue.

The Prolia is meant to be used when all other meds have not been successful. I wouldn't see it as just another choice when you haven't tried the others.

Be sure that whatever you decide on, that you consume 1200 mg of calcium a day. The meds won't work if you don't give them the calcium to work with. Spread it out throughout the day as it's not easily absorbable. You also need 1000 IU of Vit D to send the calcium to the bones.

You can look through the National Osteoporosis Foundation website (www.nof.org ) for a lot of good reliable information and an excellent FAQ section.

HaleyBeth replied to bonebabe's response:
Thank you for the information. I tried the Actonel and it made me so sick. I am also not good at taking pills. I try to take daily vitamins when I remember. I like the fact that Prolia is an injection so I dont have to worry about taking pills every day but I guess I still do since I need to remember to take the calcium and vit D. Thank You for your insight. I am not dure what my best option is and I definetly need to do something. I am -2.7 on my dexa. I thought I was too young for this but I guess not.

HaleyBeth replied to HaleyBeth's response:
Do you think Prolia is a good choice for me or should i look into reclast?

bonebabe replied to HaleyBeth's response:
I don't know your health situation or family history. Is there some reason you're wanting the Prolia rather than the Reclast? If you have no big health issues other than the low T-score, talk to your doctor about Reclast. My brother takes it as he travels extensively and only has to do this once a year. It's also covered under your health insurance as opposed to drug insurance since it's given as an IV in a medical setting.

pantherkill replied to bonebabe's response:
I would stay away from that stuff I hear it is pure junk.
can even be dangerous

Helpful Tips

Test your calcium supplement to see how well it dissolvesExpert
Place a calcium supplement in vinegar or warm water for 30 minutes while stirring occasionally. If the supplement dissolves, it will ... More
Was this Helpful?
55 of 66 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the National Osteoporosis Foundation website